0 : the calm before the storm

★ 0 ☆ It's all about the act, the vocals, and the dancing!

~Aquamarine Hoshino, broadcasting live.~

(Before you start reading, please make sure that you have read the chapters before chapter 18! Also, please take note that the "(name), broadcasting live." sentence at the beginning indicates the person who is going to take over the narration for the story. Enjoy!)

March 31st, 20xx. Sweet today's celebration party to commemorate the airing of the final episode.

 To my relief, the final episode received extensive amount of praise that exceeded my expectations. 

Honesty, the number of overwhelming positive responses surfacing the headlines of the internet puzzled me.

 Although the number of episodes that misfired clearly outnumbered the episodes that actually contented the audience, many people who still had hope for the show are still willing to drop a positive overall rating.

Thanks to the last episode and a few decent scenes that we managed to capture throughout the series, the ratings of the show according to the wikipedia were pulled up from a 4 to a 6. 

The rest of the cast really did put in their utmost effort and grinded during the last few hours of the shooting, so here's my hats off to them. 

Though a part of me wishes that they could've taken this seriously from the beginning of our first shooting. 

I admit that being able to see such a committed mangaka who used to possess high hopes for the adaptation of her work express extreme displeasure did discern me. Not to mention that the scriptwriting was pretty horrendous too.

While I did conclude that the failure of the series was insurmountable at first glance,  there are still a few first rate actors who did an outstanding job for their role. Casts like Arima executed their role flawlessly and sprinkled hope for the success of Sweet Today. 

The sight of the last scene as well as Arima's pleading to help her in repairing the flaws of the show then resurfaced in my mind.

We were both sitting in a Karaoke room that was illuminated with lights of various colours as a result of the light refracting from the disco ball. 

Indie pop music by an artist I did not recognize enveloped our ears. I then doubted that even a room that was designed to calm a person down is capable of deterring Arima's rash attitude.

Otherwise Arima wouldn't have sounded increasingly agitated, with her harsh figure of speech soaring to alarming heights. She was mercilessly spouting her insults and frustrations about her colleagues in sweet today, in hopes that I'll eventually volunteer to help her.

"Of course I was holding back!"

"The actors around me, every single one of them are terrible!"

"I'm the only one among the main cast who can act properly!"

"Imagine if I went all out in the middle of all that.. I'll just draw attention to how bad those ham actors are, like a ham and cheese with good cheese with terrible cheese but good ham!"

"I'd like to give it my all you know, I doubt there's anyone who would enjoy acting poorly on purpose."

"But skilled acting and putting out a good final product aren't the same."

"When the mangaka of Sweet Today came to visit the set during the filming of episode 1..., seeing her disappointed face was heart-wrenching."