one

brooklyns pov:

"Brookie! lets go hun! we have to open the house before the Fishers get here." mom yells at me from downstairs

"coming! one minute!" I yell downstairs, continuing my conversation with Katye on the phone. "anyway. i hope Conrads not a dick this summer"

"that'll be the day." Katye says, scoffing. it wasn't that he was always mean. he had his moments. they were just... far and few these past few summers. "at least you have Jeremiah!" 

"its been way to long, K. we text and play game pigeon like everyday but I'm so excited to see him in person! june couldn't have come slower."

"game pigeon im gone. you're such a flirt brooklyn"

"shut up"

"Brooklyn! now!" my mom calls again

"okok this time i really have to go. ill text you i swear"

"you better brookie cookie" Katye says as she hangs up. she knows i hate nicknames. especially dumb ones like that. 

The opening of our beach house consists of me setting up the deck and pool, then going on a food run. Steven cleans counters and then lies down instead of actually helping. dumbass. My mom sets up the beds and then were pretty much ready

After finishing my other tasks I throw jean shorts and an open zip up on over my bikini and hop in Stevens jeep to get food. He already took the top and all the doors off the blue car which was perfect for the heat. Technically i wasn't supposed to be driving his car or really driving alone since i only had a permit but i didn't care. I was smart enough to get my permit like 3 weeks early so i dont think it even matters. I shuffle my liked songs and The Spins comes on. 

"fuck yes"

i pull out and start singing as the wind blows through my hair. I was so hype for this summer i couldn't even put it into words. 

"a theater to watch my movies, a couple whips and a lot of fancy things, the kids they call the Goonies" I sing as I'm waiting to turn into the market. A familiar car passes me and i see Jeremiah, Susannah, and Conrad. they all barley seem to recognize me. the look on Susannahs face suddenly makes me more aware of the fact that im barely wearing a shirt.

shit if they're on their way to our house im gonna be late and moms gonna kill me

conrads pov

i watch as my mom and brother stare Brooklyn.

"was she wearing a bikini?" my mom gasps as Jer laughs 

"i think. i guess shes changed since last summer" he wasn't wrong. she seemed more confident and the thought of her driving kinda made me feel old. she had somehow gotten a permit early. i dont think that's how it works and im pretty sure she was supposed to be with someone with a license. 

i shake my head to get myself out of my thoughts. i didn't care about what brooklyn did anyway.

"this summer i want you guys to help out more. make your beds, do dishes, load the dishwasher, and i mean more than just your plate Connie

"im pretty sure Laurel has people to do that for them mom. you really think Brooklyn has ever touched a dirty dish?"

"don't be a dick" jeremiah jumps in

"hey! language. but i agree. don't talk about Brooklyn like that. You are her house guest."

i scoff and put in my airpods. music makes me slightly more excited as i take in the views of Cousins. we stop for gas and i spot Brooklyns car pass again, my eyes catching hers.