anger

I eventually ended up inviting poppy into my back garden to sit with me. My mother had returned home and was very confused to see Poppy's familiar face when she appeared in the hallway. Chris refused to leave me alone with her so he insisted on sitting at my bedroom window to check up on us, which I didn't mind. We sat on the bench at the very top of my garden, dangling our feet over the pond below us and sighing awkwardly. I turned to look at poppy and it took me a moment to process that it was her who was sitting next to me. It was poppy Jenkins who was perched beside me. She still held her camera in a tight grip, looking down at it and hanging her head low as if she was ashamed. We didn't talk for a while, just sat and enjoyed eachother's strange company. Suddenly poppy spoke up "I'm sorry" she muttered insincerely, her head still hung low, almost touching her knees.  I bit my lip angrily and just kind of sat there quietly raging. Poppy touched my hand gently still without raising her head, I immediately jerked away from her in disgust. I shuffled away from her "what- why? What is this poppy? What are you trying to acheive?" I spluttered, trying inevitably hard not to lose my temper. She finally raised her head and examined my confused expression with sadness, then she bit her lip too.  I was annoyed by her expression "hurry up" I encouraged "this has to be good" I said firmly. She shook her head and sighed "I never meant for you to find out-" She muttered quietly "yeah well, no shit" I interrupted. She laughed silently and then continued "Heather, I- I never meant to hurt you." She said. I scoffed. Then she put a palm onto her forehead and exhaled "Its just-" she murmered "You loved me" she whispered. I looked up at her considerately, that wasn't what I was expecting to hear. Poppy tucked her blonde hair behind her ear like she always used to do when she was mine, I missed it. She looked at my eyes and then my lips and then my eyes again and I felt special again, I hadn't felt this way in months, years even. She looked down at her camera "I guess- I thought that if I got enough pictures of you, then it." She paused and laughed "I sound so dumb" she said irritated. She looked back at me and I reassured her with a look, that she didn't sound dumb. Then she smirked and continued once more "I guess I thought, it would feel like you were still mine if I got you from every angle? Like I guess I thought If I collected enough photos, it'd be like seeing you every day" she said disappointed, losing the end of her sentence. I raised an eyebrow "but even when you saw me every day at school, you still looked like you hated me." I inquired, she smiled "well of course I hated you" she said "you'd broken my heart" she reminded me. I punched her playfully in the knee "you did it first you nobhead" I smiled. Poppy lost her smile then and I was worried that she would lash out at me. She picked up her camera from her lap and scrolled through the memory carefully "you know" she said "I kinda thought I'd still have a chance-" she laughed as she continued to flick through the hundreds of photos that she'd stored. She stopped scrolling finally and looked sadly at a blurred picture "but then I saw her" she said shallowly. I looked closer at the photo and recognised Sophie and I, dancing in the feild. I looked up at poppy's hurt face and sighed. I rose to my feet and huffed "you are sick Poppy jenkins" I shouted. She rose to her feet too "It's not like I was the one kissing a straight girl in a feild." She protested "WHY DO YOU HAVE A PROBLEM?" I shrieked "we broke up a year ago poppy. A YEAR. what did you expect? That I'd just never find anybody ever again?" She suddenly looked extremely hurt and had a shocked expression on her face "atleast I can grow up and move on" I shouted "At least I got over you" I whispered into her ear angrily. Poppy shed a tear and wiped it with her sleeve quickly "you're over me now?" She asked, her voice quivering and breaking. I laughed sarcastically "Over you?" I asked "You mean nothing to me and you never have." I said exhausted, feeling a tear slip down my face. Poppy's face was drenched in tears that shone clearly in the moonlight "now leave me alone" I whispered.