Chapter 2

"Sister, please. I understand your worry, but the situation is well in hand."

The council leader stood before me, her eyes wide with concern. Vitoria paced her way around the room, going back and forth and back and forth. Her shoulders and back straightened with the weight of responsibility. She tore her eyes away from mine and looked ahead of her. There before her sat the Book of Law. A simple yet trivial name for the most important book of the Alpha Centauri Faction. It wasn't simply a book. It was an anthology, the earliest known records of laws and amendments. The catalog was sorted through and updated to fit the times of the people every single year. Anything considered null and void was cast out of the pages of the Book of Law. This way, we found what worked for an ever-growing, fast-paced society. Looking intently at the catalog, Vitoria grimaced at the thought of her most recent addition to the pages.

My actions earlier that day were not to her liking. As was her right to worry, I was more than blood. I was one of her most decorated officers. She knew I followed procedure, and couldn't question my actions. That didn't mean she wasn't going to try to change said procedure to keep her officers, specifically me, safe. Vitoria was head of the council and held much sway over the court's opinions.

"I just don't know what I would do if I lost my little sister to a rule I put into place." She cupped her face in her hands, stress pouring off of her in waves.

"We are in the middle of a war. That rule is there to protect the people. Even if I couldn't help it, getting taken hostage is the last thing I want. I'd honestly rather take my chances in the vacuum of space." I could practically see the stress dripping off of her in my attempt to console her. I stared at my older sister for a long few seconds, trying to figure out what else I could do. It looks like I was going to have to hug her.

"Hey. That rule is there for a reason, and you and I know it shouldn't be tampered with. I love you, though." I wrapped my arms around her for a moment, letting go only when she began to stir from her thoughts. "You did the right thing." I smiled, making sure she was looking at me.

Vitoria nodded, a curt half-smile spreading on her lips and then fading. She took a deep breath and straightened her dress. With a flash of her hand, she wiped away any tear that dare threatened to show itself.

A knock came at the door, knocking any wavering thoughts out of our heads.

"Come in, please!" Vitoria called out. The butler, Alonso, stepped through the door and addressed her with a bow.

"My lady, your fellow council members wish to speak to you on the matter at hand."

"Very well," she nodded. "Come along, Angie. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter as well." She followed the butler and looked back at me for a quick second before pausing to say, "and don't forget your jacket this time!"

My lips pressed into a thin line of embarrassment before turning around and grabbing the dark brown leather jacket that hung on the back of a chair. Just a glimpse at the emblem on the jacket's chest sent my soul soaring with pride for my position in this life and what it stood for. It was a single, swirling flame. "For Honor and Glory." The phrase stuck out in my mind as it was the pinnacle of our society. I smiled at the thought and raced to catch up with my sister.

Speeding down the spiral staircase, I wrapped the jacket around my arms and eventually caught up. Vitoria was standing at the end of the stairs, Alonso at her side.

"I'm ready," I told the two and they led the way to the conference room.

As we entered the chambers, the two other council members stood up from their seats and addressed us with a bow.