Chapter Thirty - I Overestimated Them.

"Copy. We're still at the Wheeler house." Powell spoke into his radio as he stepped away from the parents, "Why would he be opening gates?" Dustin asked as he rubbed his face in thought "To take over the world." Lucas spoke causing Dustin to let out a chuckle "Who do we know that wants to take over the world?" Dustin spoke looking at Lucas "The Mind Flayer. So if the Demogorgon was just his foot soldier, Vecna's his five-star general." Lucas spoke as he began to chuckle leaving Erica with a confused look. "A five-star general with the power to open gates." Dustin spoke clapping his hands together "Holy shit." Lucas spoke "Holy shit." Dustin replied the two of them slapping their heads with their hands "Holy shit. That was incomprehensible. You lost me at 'Mother gate.' Please be kind. Rewind." Erica spoke as she watched them both "Okay, so remember the gate?" Dustin spoke turning to Erica who looked still confused "Oh, no. I blocked that out." She spoke sarcastically.

As the group finally arrived at the Wheeler house, April pushed open the door being greeted with vines all over her family home "Might be time to get a maid, Wheeler." Robin replied causing her to roll her eyes "Come on. I don't want to stay here longer than we have to." April spoke before walking up the stairs to Nancy's room, she stood leaning against the door as Robin and Eddie stood next to Nancy who opened a pretty shoe box. "Those aren't guns." Eddie spoke pointing out the obvious "These heels are pointy, but I was hoping for a deadly projectile." Robin replied taking a shoe from the box "I don't understand." Nancy spoke as she glanced at April who started to look around the room. "Maybe you left them somewhere else." Eddie spoke as he stayed looking at the box "There's a six-year-old in the house. I know where I keep my guns. And also, I threw these away years ago." Nancy spoke spotting the chemistry flash cards she had made. "I get that grades are important, but perhaps studying can wait till we get out?" April spoke stepping into the room leaning herself on Eddie, her pain subsided slightly "These are from sophomore chemistry. And this... this wallpaper, this is old wallpaper. And this mirror, this went to a yard sale. And you... You're not supposed to be here. No, I gave you to Cousin Joanna two years ago." Nancy  spoke picking up the old Teddy bear from her bead "What is it?" Eddie asked as Nancy picked up her diary and began to flick through it "Nancy? You're freaking me out." Robin replied glancing over Nancy's shoulder "I think the reason that my guns aren't here is that they don't exist yet." Nancy spoke in an almost whisper glancing up at April "They don't... exist?" April spoke as she stepped to her sister's side reading the date on the diary "This diary should be full of entries. It's not. The last entry is November 6, 1983. The day Will went missing. The day the gate opened. We're in the past." Nancy spoke looking at April "my guns dont exist either" April spoke bluntly as it set in. Suddenly the sound of Steve shouting flooded the house causing the group to run to him "Dustin! Dustin! Dustin! Can you hear me? Dustin! Du... Hello? Hel... Hello?" Steve shouted causing April to frown as she walked forward "Maybe he really does have rabies. April you might have rabies" Robin spoke softly as she approached him "Hello! Hello?" Steve continued to shout "What are you doing?" April asked placing a hand on his back "Hello! He's here. Henderson. That little shit, he's here. He's like... He's in the walls or something. Just listen. Dustin. Dustin! Dustin! Dustin! Dustin! Can you hear me?" Steve continued as he looked around the room for him.

"That brings us to the question you first raised. How and why is there a gate at Lover's Lake? Let's analyze. What do Eleven and Vecna have in common?" Dustin spoke now this time everyone heard him, April looked at Eddie with a soft smile as she looked up "Dustin!" She shouted "Dustin?" Eddie shouted after her "Dustin!" Robin shouted after before shaking her head at the failed attempt "All right, either this kid can't hear us or he's being a total douche bag." Steve spoke in a scoff "Will found a way." April spoke bluntly looking down at Eddie's top on her that had begun to turn a slight red from her blood "What?" Steve replied confused "Will. He found a way to speak to Joyce through the lights." Nancy spoke as she rushed over to the wall with Steve close behind "Lights? Yeah. The switch. Try the switch. Okay." Steve spoke as April flicked the switch "It's not working." Nancy replied with a sigh before "Guys? You seeing this?" April spoke as she watched the chandelier in the room begin to light up with glittery dust floating around it "...to open a tear in time and space, just like the Mother gate." Dustin spoke his voice echoing into the upside down. "Whoa." Eddie spoke lifting his hand into the Dusty light "...are these like the Mother gate... But a gate nonetheless." Dustin continued to talk "It... Tickles." Robin spoke with a soft giggle "It kinda feels good." April replied with a bright smile. Nancy thought for a moment before turning "Does anyone know Morse code?" Nancy asked looking around the group, "No" Steve and Robin replied bluntly "Wait, does SOS count? Is that... Is that good?" Eddie spoke as Nancy nodded "We know SOS dont we baby" April spoke as she stepped closer not being quite tall enough to reach fully "So our working theory is that Vecna makes remote contact from his attic. We don't know why. We assume he can do it from anywhere." Dustin spoke his voice still echoing through "Are you even listening to me?" Dustin asked as he looked at Erica who seemed a little confused "I'm listening. It's just... You said you followed Vecna through lights, right?" Erica spoke as she stood from the table she was sitting at with Lucas and walked towards the chandelier "Yeah, why?" Dustin replied as his eyes followed her to the light "Because I think he's here." Erica spoke as she pointed at the flickering lights. Eddie had April lifted in one arm as the two of them made SOS on the lights both laughing together at it with Eddie's head resting on top of hers "It's working baby" April spoke happily as she continued "'S.' 'O.' 'S.' Hey, uh, remember when I said they wouldn't be stupid enough to go through Watergate?" Dustin spoke as he realized what was happening "Yeah?" Lucas spoke as he walked to his side "I overestimated them." Dustin spoke bluntly as he watched the lights flicker SOS.