34 - 𝙱𝚒𝚗𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚅𝚘𝚠

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"If you can't trust my words,
will a binding vow do?"

└─────────❍─────────┘

The cold, gloomy weather only contributed to the loneliness I was feeling as I sat in front of my best friend's grave, smiling only to comfort myself and remind me that she must be in a better place now

me that she must be in a better place now.

I miss the times we spent before all these happened.

"Oh. I forgot to mention a while ago, but Satoru and I are in that kind of relationship already," I broke the news with a small chuckle. "Thank you for encouraging us."

A dark blue bird with black feather-tips landed on top of her grave, chirping and tilting its head.

Look at this mischievous girl still sending her messages.

"I miss you so much, Yume-chan."

"Are you talking to a bird?," a young, inquisitive voice appeared out of nowhere.

I turned to the owner of the voice, feeling oddly on-guard since I didn't detect her cursed energy as she approached. It was a little girl with moss-colored hair, donning a yukata of old fabric and faded colors.

"Yeah," I grinned, still keeping my eyes on the bird.

"You are weird, Onee-san." The girl frowned.

"I am." Mischief started bubbling in. "I also eat children for dinner."

"No way," the girl snorted. She plopped down on the grass and smiled at the gray skies. "If you do, you should've gobbled us up when you rescued us."

"Yeah, no. I cook them before eati- wait, what?" My head instantly whipped to her direction. A green-haired girl who had strong aura and undoubtedly determined eyes.

She must be one of the children we saved from that damned cult.

"My name is Maki," she introduced with confidence brimming her bright tone. Her palm rested on her chest as if she was gesturing towards herself.

The playful and sarcastic smile I had on my lips was replaced by a surprised gasp. "I'm (F/n)."

"Is that your clan name?"

Clan name, huh? So she's from a sorcerer family, too.

"No. I don't exactly have a clan for now," I replied, trying to suppress my laughter when I imagined what kind of expression Satoru would make if he heard this. "How about you? I don't think Maki is your clan name. Or is it?"

"I don't have a clan!," she huffed, crossing her arms together. "The boys keep saying things I don't understand. It's annoying. And my cousin is a... he's really annoying!"