Prologue

June 1960

"I'm sorry," she whispers into a bundled baby in a woven basket, "this is the best thing I could ever do for you." She kisses the baby on the forehead and wipes her tears.

Gently, she places the baby wrapped in layers of blankets charmed to stay warmon the patio of the Potter Mansion. She lingers, pondering on her decision. She sits just behind the bushes surrounding the Mansion and begins writing a letter. Tears dripping down onto the words, smudging the ink.

The baby watches attentively and reaches out to the cloaked woman, writing the letter. The woman turns away as a sob escapes her mouth. She looks up at the moon and knows its time, she must make her decision.

She rushes up to pick up the baby, holding her for what might possibly be the last time. She kisses the baby girl one more time on the forehead, leaving a stain of red lipstick on the baby, and places the baby back into the basket.

Settling the folded letter she had just finished next to the baby, she turns and knocks on the door. "Monty, dear, is someone at the door? " she hears Mrs. Potter sing across the home.

Before the door opens, the woman is already submerged in the lake just steps away from the patio. She goes up for a breath of fresh air and to watch the Potters as they discover a child of two months, left on their doorstep with a letter written by a desperate mother.

"Merlin," gasps Euphemia, "I-is that a child?" She hurriedly bends down and picks up the baby girl as the letter falls to her ground. "Monty, Monty come quick." She shouts.

Fleamont Potter rushes to Euphemia's side and stares at the bundle of blankets she appears to be holding. He glances around the property and spots the fallen letter. He picks it up and reads it. "Effie, dear look," he hands her the letter and takes the child from her arms as she begins to read the contents of the letter.

"What do we do?" Fleamont asks.

"Well I'm not leaving the child out here to die, she looks about the same age as James, " Effie responds. "And besides, read the letter, her mother has left her here on purpose, she knows we'll take her in if need be."

"Should I fire-call Dumbledore?"

"Yes dear"

-------------

Flames erupt from the fire place of the Potter's living area, and out comes a tall, grey wizard. He wears midnight blue robes with altering gold constellations and a matching hat. He has piercing blue eyes, half-moon spectacles, and a crooked nose that seems to balance the oddity that is his presence. He holds himself with an aura of patience, tranquility, and authority.

"Albus, we're sorry for bothering you this late into the night but it was urgent." Euphemia announced.

"No worries, Euphemia," the old wizard replies, "Now, what are the circumstances in which you have called me upon?"

"Read this," Monty demands, as he hands Dumbledore a letter. He reads it carefully and seems to reread it.

"Ahh, I see," Dumbledore nods, "I shall assume you both would be happy to do as the letter says and take the girl in?" Effie and Monty Nod. "Great, I think it best for her to be brought up as twin sister to James although they might differ in appearance." Dumbledore chuckles and hands the letter back to Monty.

"Is that all Dumbledore?" Questions Effie.

"Yes, it appears so," Dumbledore replies calmly, "I will deal with the legal aspect of the process, making sure to align her birth documents with James's and I will add her to all Potter Family documents." Dumbledore turns as if to leave but hesitates and turns back around, "One more thing. As she grows, she will inherit the abilities that come with her kind and she may not be able to control it at times seeing as she's not in her natural environment, but if there's any trouble ever regarding yours or her safety, please immediately call upon me."

"Alright, yea no problem." Monty whispered just as Dumbledore went up in flames in the fireplace, leaving the Effie and Monty shocked and confused. The Potter Family had just gained a daughter yet a mother had just lost a daughter, be it for the best. The Potters named the baby girl Cordelia, seeing as the letter left behind was addressed to the name Cordelia and gave her all the love a child could ever ask for.

-----------------

Authors note: All right guys that was basically the first chapter :) Please let me know what yall think and let me know if there's any typos or grammar errors or if you need any clarification.