01 || The Phone Call

Zaylia Higgins loved her father with every fiber in her being. But she had to admit, she didn't agree with all his life choices. Especially the one where he brings home a new girl every other nights. Expect Friday's. On Friday's the two of them played out their own basketball match.

Today, was one of the nights where he had a girl over. On these nights, Zaylia would plug earphones in, not wanting to hear anything they were doing. Tonight, she spent her time dancing around in her room with her hair brush listening to an 80's playlist she made of all her favourite songs. Currently she was listening to "Let's hear it for the boy" as she danced. She was sure if anyone walked in at the moment, she'd look like a case. Wearing a baggy shirt and some sweatpants that barely fit her while her hair was frizzy from flipping it while dancing.

"Let's here it for the boy!" She sang as she danced weirdly. Then immediately she slapped her hand over her mouth remembering the guest that's inside they house. 'Sorry dad' she thought with a chuckle. She turned around and let out a startled gasp/ screech when she saw her dad leaning against her door frame with a raised brow. She ripped the headphones out of her ears before apologizing.

"Sorry, I know I should have been quiet" She cringes but her expression soon turns into concern when she notices her dads look of distraught. "What's wrong?"

"Take a seat kid" Marcus sighs and she does as told. He sits down next to her and pulls her into his side.

"Coach buzzer passed away" Zaylia gasps and covers her mouth at the news. She feels tears build up in her eyes and she tries to blink them away.

"I'm sorry dad. I know how much he meant to you" She says wrapping her arms around her dads body. He kisses the top of her head and sighs again.

"Thanks, Z. I know how much he meant to you too"

The two held each other for a little while longer before pulling away.

"You wanna go buy a shit ton of candy and get fat?" Marcus suggests to which Zaylia laughs with a nod.

"Sure. I'm driving, you've been drinking" She points accusingly and Marcus scoffs.

"I- I have...I have not— all right I have. Let's go" The both laugh before getting in the car and driving to the nearest K-mart.

When they arrived, the two went straight to the candy isle and began throwing things into the cart.

"Hey so, will I finally get to meet your old basketball buddies?" Zaylia asks with an excited grin. Marcus looks at his daughter with a crooked smile. He forgot that she was going to be meeting his friends.

"Yeah, I guess you will. And they have kids of their own. Hollywood has a kid just about your age" He says and his daughter laughs at the nickname.

"That's right. Hollywood. I get to meet Mr. Hollywood" She says between laughter and Marcus watches in amusement. He could just imagine the expression on Lenny's face when she calls him Hollywood.

"All right calm down with the junk. I'm paying" Marcus stops his daughter before she buys the whole store. Zaylia rolls her eyes, knowing damn well she's contributed a fair amount to their groceries.

"Let's go pay then" She smirks and the two make their way to the till.

The rest of the night was filled with laughter and story's of Marcus and his friends from back in the day. With every story he shared, Zaylia felt herself grow more excited to meet the friends her dad talks so high about.

——————

Short chapter, but this is more of a prologue is anything.