Bombay ki Baarish

Monsoon. The word which triggers every Indian's soul with joy and delight. It is that time of the year, when the dry and tired city of Mumbai, awakens. Awakens from the laziness of the summer and gets ready to face the cold winter. The winds rush making the trees sway and birds chirp louder and louder with happiness. Families get together and sit with a radio and a nice plate of hot pakoras and masala chai, watching the rain drizzle and drip on the other side of the window. Songs like "Yeh raatein, yeh Mausam", "Kasoor", "Paani da rang" are an integral part of this mehfil.

And while this the take while one is inside one's home, the commuters have a really hard time, facing the monster of traffic. It's an unhealthy site to see puddles of mud and gutter water splash on passerby's and chic white Mercedes's. Then how can one forget the dreadful accidents which occur on the front page of the Times of India, almost everyday?! The city has progressed in many ways but the roads are still living in their 80's. And it's ironic because at every 1km, you can see barricades lined up, protecting and sheltering the road construction work going on since ages.

Inspite of these pitfalls, the season of monsoon instills a sense of calm and bespoke euphoria all over the city. The pitter-patter has made generations of humans happier than ever and that is why, that petrichor leaves one entranced and brings back nostalgia like a flooding flood.