Chapter 1: Happy Birthday to Me

This is something else I wanted to post before moving on to Cars 2. It's a very important, but sad part of Fudge's life. I wrote this a while ago and it's from Fudge's POV. I want to thank Agent Sandra Cartrip. Her music video for the song of the same name inspired me to give this story this particular title.

Anyway, here it is! I would say enjoy, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to. After all, if I've gotten the emotions right, you'll feel sad and if I haven't, then I haven't done a very good job of writing this. It's all so confusing! Just read the chapter!

My Heart Will Go On

Chapter 1- Happy Birthday to Me!

My life was pretty much perfect ever since Lightning McQueen came to town. I was able to stay in Radiator Springs and avoided being sent to an orphanage; I had a cool new big brother and I was learning how to be a human rider.

Lightning continued to win races with Uncle Doc's help and I couldn't be more proud of him. He had even just won his third Piston Cup, which made all of us even more proud and to celebrate, a bunch of us spent a week in Mexico, which was a blast! Then I woke up one morning feeling excited, but I didn't know why. At least, not until Lightning and Mater came charging into my bedroom, yelling, "Happy birthday, happy birthday!"

I grinned as I sat up in bed. "Thanks!" I couldn't believe I'd forgotten about my birthday! I guess with the racing season getting so crazy and the entire town getting sick at one point. Even so, I was glad it was here. I always looked forward to my birthday feverishly. I had been looking forward to this birthday in particular. I was ten years old!

"Double figures!" my family had exclaimed on several occasions. "That's a big deal!"

"C'mon!" Mater used his tow hook to yank my covers away from me and pulled me out of bed. "We is gon' celebrate yer birthday!"

"Yay!" I cheered, running after them.

"Happy birthday, angel!" Papà greeted me as I came out of my bedroom. He and Babbo each gave me a kiss.

"(Happy birthday!)" Babbo echoed in his native tongue.

"Grazie!" I replied.

"Oh, I can't believe it has been ten years since my daughter was born! We still remember when you were born."

My fathers- and my other family members, except Lightning and Aunt Sally- said that to me every year on my birthday.

"Why don't we go over to Flo's?" Papà suggested. "I am sure everyone will want to see the birthday girl!"

"The birthday girl!" I exclaimed. "That's me!"

Papà laughed. "That's right!"

I didn't even bother to change into my regular clothes before heading over. It was an unofficial tradition for me to go over to Flo's in my pyjamas on my birthday and I would dress into my new clothes, which I would receive as presents.

Of course, everyone wanted to see the birthday girl.

"Happy birthday, Fudge!" they all yelled. "Can you believe it's been ten years since you were born?!"

"Thanks!"

"One, two, three!" Papà called out, prompting everyone to start singing "Happy Birthday" while I just stood there with a big smile on my face.

It got even bigger when Flo had my breakfast for me. It was the same as I got every year for my birthday: chocolate chip pancakes with strawberries and ice cream. It's so delicious and Aunt Flo only ever makes it for me on special occasions, which makes them even more special!