Season 1 - Episode 07: Battle Cry

Rodenki had been knocked out along with the Team Shade Grunt's second and, apparently, last Pokémon, but the battle wasn't over. The Cryote released its next resounding bark, but the enemy Giladon was ready this time. It skidded slightly but endured the sound wave, which was stronger due to repetitive use.

"What's wrong, Slate?" April asked, apparently noticing his strained expression as she moved to his side.

"I've only got one more chance," he said quietly. "Echoed Voice will be even stronger this time, but if it doesn't knock that thing out, it's going to beat Cryote with a super powerful burst of stored-up energy from its Bide."

"What's wrong, kid? Why don't you give it another shot? Go on, do it!" the woman dared.

Suddenly, The Cryote interrupted his self-doubt with a loud bark. Slate looked up and observed its severe-looking brow. It barked again and Slate understood. Now wasn't the time to give up. This was their chance. Their only chance. The Cryote believed in him. He needed to believe too.

"Okay, let's do it, Boy!" Slate said affirmatively. The Cryote barked again, this time with a look of determination, and faced down its opponent. "Give it all you've got! Echoed Voice!"

"Giladon, brace yourself," the woman from Team Shade ordered.

With the loudest bark yet, the third Echoed Voice was fired. It was more visible than the previous two given its increase in power. It distorted the air around the field as it approached its foe, then reverberated upon impact. The Giladon squinted and dug its claws into the field as it tried to resist the air-rippling blast.

"Come on!" Slate said under his breath.

"Shake it off, Giladon!" the woman yelled.

Suddenly, the rippling stopped. The Giladon had survived the blast, barely moving from its position.

"No..." Slate whispered despondently. How could they have lost? What were they going to do? The thieves were going to take the Cryote and April's Rodenki.

The woman cackled maniacally, "Ha! Now Giladon, release your energy!"

As the Giladon opened its mouth, Slate faintly wondered whether he should intervene and try to shield the Cryote from the imminent danger. However, just then, the Giladon made a strange movement, and its short legs buckled beneath it. Its eyes were closed. It hadn't withstood the Echoed Voice, after all.

"You did it, Slate!" April cheered.

Slate sighed with relief.

The woman returned the Giladon to its ball. "Lucky shot! But your luck's up now!" she said, revealing a second Silph Ball from her pocket.

"Oh, no. She's got another one too!" April dismayed.

Slate, however, had been expecting it. He had heard the raspy-voiced woman through the door earlier, talking about stealing two of Bella's Pokémon. His immediate concern had been on surviving the Giladon's Bide, though. Now that he had, he could focus on the second Pokémon, the one that the woman had said could 'control the Slugish.'

The good thing was, the Cryote had used Echoed Voice three times in succession now. Since its power increased each time, a fourth shot might just defeat whatever was coming in an instant.

"Come on out!" the woman ordered as her Silph Ball was opened.

Slate was surprised by the size of the silhouette created by the emerging Pokémon. It was as big as he was. When the white light disappeared, Slate was repulsed by what he saw. "What is that?" he expelled.

"Eww!" April shrieked, pointing her Pokédex at it. "I'll check." *Ping*.

SPECIES: #019 Colosslug
DERIVATION: Colossal + Slug
CATEGORY: Trail
COLORING: Purple / Light Purple / Dark Purple
TYPE: Bug / Poison
ABILITIES: Poison Touch / Liquid Ooze / Gooey
DETAILS: When communing wild Slugish reach a certain pH level, they occasionally combine and evolve into this Pokémon. They are so toxic that even the trails they leave behind can burn away concrete.