18. Life of an apprentice

3 weeks later, end of January

Two Chairo Archers are flying above the dangerous waves of Kuda ocean. The weather is cloudy and it looks like it'll rain soon, and it's unusually warm for winter season. But, winter was always pretty hot on Kuda Islands, and snow hasn't been seen for years already.
The Chairo Archer with stripe on each of his cheek looks quite relieved to have his task done, while the other with three dots under each eye looks worried. Selcicat sighs. She has been an apprentice for almost a month, and she's still not used to it. Doing various tasks for her enemy seemed strange and wrong to her.

,,Tell me, why didn't Deathchaser make us do some dirty task like he usually does instead of checking islands? It seems like he's trying to be too nice," she shouts as the air whistles loudly.

,,He gives that kind of tasks to his minions, mainly finscales. They're not as noble to him as his apprentices, so he doesn't really mind losing any of them. Unlike me, you, Quinni, Reiko and Shinji," Chōro responds.
Reiko and Shinji are another Deathchaser's apprentices, and they're also both finscales. Reiko is a female albino finscale with jewerly on her nub. She has a really obsessive and cunning personality, and everyone knows it. She always stood by Deathchaser's side and wanted to have his throne once he passes. And her jealously worsened when Selcicat showed up. Reiko was mean towards others and often had arguments with Shinji behind Deathchaser's back.
Shinji is a male dark gray finscale with green eyes and scar on his mouth. On other hand, he doesn't really care about Selcicat or being cunning, he's just completing tasks he's given and wants to have a good spot in Deathchaser's eye.
When Selcicat first met them, they weren't really kind and were suspicious of her, but Shinji got used to her presence later. Unfortunately, it wasn't the same with Reiko.

,,I just- feel uncomfortable working with our enemy instead of defeating him... finding Māki Canine packs and telling their location to him just feels horrible. Have you felt this way too, Chōro?" She says exhausted.

,,I always have, and still feel that way, Sel. But I told you what your purpose of doing this is; it's so you can save our friends from starving. I know it's disgusting what we have to do, but we have no other choice."

,,You bet that's disguting! Sacrificing lives just so I can save the ones I love? It's so fucked up!" She growls.

,,I know," he sighs.

Selcicat often feels like she's becoming what Shio once was. That she's starting where Shio left off, and she feels horrified from it. She often wondered how would it be if Shio was still there. Would she finally understand her intentions and secrets? What if Shio was an apprentice for the same reason as her? Or was she just like Reiko?
She remember her talk with Deathchaser she had shortly ago;

,,You need to stop thinking about her, Chimamire. She messed with your head without any valid purpose, so I understand why you feel this way. But you need to stand up, you have a big future in front of you! And the only way you can fullfill your potential is to let go off your past and her." Deathchaser says and looks at her. She raises her head anxiously.

,,But... it's not that easy... she literally betrayed me in front of your minions."

,,That freak got what she deserved, Chimamire. She's just a meaningless minion now, instead of an apprentice. Her sould will be completely locked away from her body, until she starves to death. Or till I won't decide. But now, we need to focus on you," he says. Selcicat sighs.