Urania: Third Letter

Dear old friend,

I hope that you are well, for I am not. Renee passed on my charge to an officer that I choose not to name here. He was shot in the hand in the battle in Villiers and was attended to by Renee before she became ill. This man had this steely appeal that only a well-educated and well-trained military officer would have. Renee found his silence and apparent maturity attractive, not to mention she was impressed by how he barely winced when she was dressing his wound. I was impressed, too, except whatever respect I had for him disappeared when I saw to my horror, the crimes he easily committed to the impoverished women he picked up from the streets of Paris. Renee was deceived by his smiles, and so was I.

This man is a good-looking fellow from an affluent family, but the way he used his charms and his money is disgusting. However pure he may seem on the outside, he is a monster within. He utilized his captivating smile to lure women into his many traps, and when he has had his fun, he would leave them broken if not dead. At some point, I almost got myself involved, good thing his last victim managed to escape her bindings and did the world a favor by slitting his throat while he slept.

He does not deserve to be remembered by name. Instead, I shall chronicle the lives of those he needlessly slaughtered. May he eternally suffer in Hades.

-----------------------------------------------------------

May the world remember Josseline Lane, a sweet girl who, at the young age of eighteen years old was hired as a kitchen maid in the Chateau de Versailles. On the way to see her ailing father, she was unfortunately caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Josseline was born to a farming family in Mayenne, France, a province to the west of Paris. Her brothers were quick to marry and helped out with the farm but Josseline wanted to move to the capital. When one of the daughters of a neighboring farm found a job in the Chateau de Versailles, Josseline was quick to ask if she can go with her. However, since her family thinks she's still too young to venture out into the world, she was made to wait for a few more years. In the time she waited, she helped around their farm, caring for their cows and chicken. In her spare time, she drew sketches of their farm, their animals, and her family and friends. She was a great artist.

When Josseline turned seventeen years old, she was finally allowed to go to Versailles. With the endorsement of their family friend, she was hired as a kitchen maid, a job that she excelled in as she liked cooking. Sometimes, when they had the time, she would draw the various meals, fruits, and lavish desserts they served for the monarchy. She would send these drawings back to her family along with instructions on how to make them in case they wanted to try out the food that the upper society of France ate. Of course, they didn't have the money to try out such luxurious food but her family, her mother particularly, appreciated the thought.

After a year in Versailles, Josseline received news that her father fell ill and was already on his deathbed. She was permitted to see him and off she went. However, she missed the last train going to Le Mans and had to stay in Paris and find accommodations for the night. In her inexperience around the area, she found herself lost and was "helped" by a military officer who lured her into a deserted area to abuse and kill.

Somewhat, fortunately. her father died before the news of her death reached the family, sparing him the gruesome details of how Josseline suffered in her last moments. As a tribute, her mother took out one of her drawings and recipes to make a cassoulet, which their family ate in quiet tears. Parents should not outlive their children. Even my own heart broke at the sight of madam Lane crying while she prepared the cassoulet that Josseline passionately sketched and wrote about.

Josseline Lane will live on in her drawings and in the hearts of her family and friends. May she rest in Elysium with her loving father.

----------------------------------------------------

May the world remember Jean-Marie Roche, a seamstress who had a bright future ahead of her but was violently taken too early. Jean-Marie was born and raised in Champigny-sur-Marne, Paris to a seamstress mother and a handyman father. She followed an older brother and preceded three little sisters.

The Roches lived in relative poverty as their alcoholic father did not regularly have a job and it was up to their mother to find the means to provide for the growing family. When Jean-Marie's mother died of scarlet fever and her older brother was imprisoned for stealing, she stepped up to be the main provider.

Jean-Marie found employment in a textile factory where her mother used to work. She was a hard worker and she often worked with a large smile on her beautiful face. She never lacked admirers but would decline their advances because of her responsibilities. When the war erupted, their company was hired to make uniforms for the military. However, the factory was bombed during the siege and Jean-Marie was left with no employment.

She did everything she can to make ends meet, even if she had to turn to the so-called oldest profession in the world.

Jean-Marie may have been taken from this world too early, but her family and friends will never forget her lovely smile and her delightful personality. She will be welcomed in Elysium by her mother.

----------------------------------------------------

May the world remember Frances Gillespie, a beautiful young cook from Saint-Denis, Paris. She was born in the seaside province of Calais, France to a fisherman father and a homemaker mother. At 9 years old, their little family moved to Paris, France to start a restaurant in Saint-Denis to cater to the hungry factory workers in the area. As their business was booming, she learned to cook from her father and learned to entertain guests from her mother. She was quite popular among the men and had a steady stream of admirers. Her father, justifiably, screened every admirer that tried to court Frances.

Her tourtiere and chicory gratin were her best sellers among the factory workers but the fish bouillabaisse which was her favorite dish to make reminded me of the in mitulis that we used to make in Pompeii. I suppose because we both grew up in a coastal town, we have a preference for seafood.

When the war broke out, the Gillespies had to move away from Saint-Denis, taking their enterprise into a small yet quaint canteen in Aubervilliers. It is here that Frances' suitors changed from factory workers to soldiers. It is also here that Frances was courted by a young military officer who managed to deceive not only her but also her loving parents.

Frances was set to marry this deceiving officer but was violently assaulted and left to bleed out in a dark alley. She was only eighteen years old.

Her death dampened the spirits of the people that knew and loved her. Everyone cried for they will no longer taste her delicious cooking which not only filled their stomachs but also filled their hearts with love. May she dine with Pluto and Proserpina when she enters the Underworld.

Good wishes,
Urania Eumachius