Chapter 1

Liu Xin had a hard time believing that she was currently the only child in the room. The teacher had only left the courtyard for a few seconds, and all the disciples, no matter their age, immediately started acting out, seeing who would be the first to get a reaction out of the baby. Her grasp on the flow of time wasn't very good yet, but she knew she could be barely over a month old in this second life. The maid holding her didn't know how to get the disciples to get back to their training, seeing as they ignored her attempts to get their attention with her words.

Liu Xin had to admit it was funny watching the group of mostly prepubescent boys show off their most ridiculous maneuvers, almost falling over themselves and each other, or just making weird faces. But she had been way more interested in their actual training.

The methodical and purposeful movements reminded her of her ballet training from her previous life and many other dance styles she had dabbled in. All of her life had been centered around music and dance. And she missed being able to freely move her body.

Her face contorted into a pout and she stared down at her now small extremities for the nth time.

A loud cough brought her out of her musings and all the disciples froze. Shen Zhihao, the current sect leader of the Shen Sect and Liu Xin's jiu jiu, had silently appeared from the direction of the main hall and was watching them unimpressed. His aquamarine robes were ruffled about by a gentle breeze and magnified his already imposing stature. He looked thoroughly unimpressed, sothe disciples went back to training with slumped shoulders knowing their sect leader had seen enough to give them extra work.

Liu Xin wanted to snort and applaud the man for his acting. She had witnessed what a protective and sometimes immature man her jiu jiu could be, ever since she had first met him. He had been all over his niece. Liu Xin had found out through listening in when the adults talked, that her birth had happened a little early during a journey to the Shen Sect where her mother had grown up. Most thought it was due to a little rough part in the journey, that led to the baby being born in a roadside inn that was very ill prepared for a woman in labor.

Liu Xin had not yet met her father, but all of her maternal family. That included her jiu jiu, Shen Zhihao and his wife Shen Hua and her twin cousins, Shen Fu and Shen Guo, her yi ma Hong Mei and her yi fu Hong Ping.

Liu Xin was already back to watching the disciples intently and didn't notice when she was handed from one pair of arms into the next.

Shen Zhihao chuckled, watching his niece being fully focused on the training disciples. But it was time for her afternoon nap. The whimper that left the small mouth when he turned to make his way to his sister's room filled his chest with incredible warmth. He adored his niece as much as his own children. He thought it was a real shame she would have to live in the unnecessarily pompous palace that was the Koi Tower of Lanling. He knew the Jin Sect had helped their family out of some real trouble some generations ago, hence the Shen Sect's loyalty to the Great Sect, but he couldn't stand the current sect leader Jin Guangshan.

He had visited Koi Tower often enough to know of the Jin leader's terrible personality and detestable behavior. He hadn't even consummated his marriage to the current Madam Jin, formerly Lin Liqin for heaven's sake!

But his sister just had to fall in love with Jin Guangshan's cousin. He knew that Liu Lijun was an all around decent guy, but his overall view on that family was greatly soured. He would support his sister and niece with everything he had, even if that meant going against the Jin Sect.

Liu Xin was completely oblivious to the thoughts of her jiu jiu as she was lulled to sleep by the rhythm of his steps and the warmth of his robes.

Author Note:

English is not my first language so I would appreciate it if you pointed any errors out to me. I'll try to correct it as soon as possible.

I also hope you don't mind the short chapters. Looking at my writing for a longer amount of time makes me loose interest and I just feel like I am repeating myself, so I just try to get everything out while I am still motivated.