chapter one | taking a walk

Bree Hearne had been stuck in her new apartment for almost two weeks now

It had been that way ever since they moved to Beacon Hills, California. Packing up and driving to a new temporary home in just a few days was exhausting for the entire Hearne family. However, Bree's parents were still full of energy, given the circumstances of their impromptu move. They expected their now only child to be excited about it, but all Bree could do was sit in her room and let the walls close in on her, much to her parents' dismay.

But even that was about to drive her insane the longer she stared at the popcorn ceiling, counting every stipple until she would lose count and start all over again. It was boring, yes, but at least it made the time go by faster. She found that more entertaining than trying to track down some werewolves that only led to a dead end, just like she had been doing in every town she and her parents would reside in for a few weeks or months at a time, and nothing about it ever changed.

As the evening fell, Bree headed downstairs for the family dinner, the one thing she dreaded. Dinner every night this past week had been getting more and more awkward as nobody hardly said a word. Bree could tell her parents were just itching to talk about why they were in Beacon Hills in the first place. Bree was always prepared to shut them down about the subject.

But it was different this time, and Bree should've taken notice of this the moment she sat down at the table.

Bree and her parents were halfway through dinner and no one had said a word to each other. The only sound that filled the kitchen was their forks scraping against the glass plates as they swirled their spaghetti noodles. It didn't take long for the tension to settle among the table as the three looked at one another before focusing back down on their plate full of food. So far, Bree was grateful that it was silent between the three. However, that gratitude was short-lived when her father opened his mouth to speak.

"So..." Charles Hearne broke the silence, clearing his throat after taking a sip of wine. "We need to get a move on tracking that Alpha Pack."

Bree rolled her eyes in annoyance. "Dad--"

"Look, we got word on this pack back in June and so far we've had no luck on catching any of them. It's time to buckle down and hunt down every last one of them."

Placing her fork down, Bree leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. "All of us have tried everything. Maybe the pack has moved on."

"That's doubtful," Morgan Hearne spoke up, shaking her head. "There has to be something here that they want. Otherwise, they wouldn't have stayed as long as they already have."

Bree pressed her lips together, frustrated at the way her parents always did this whenever there was a hunt. While she was so used to the routine by now, that didn't stop her from growing tired of it. They always had a determined mind, never stopping to rest no matter what.

"I have school tomorrow," Bree finally said. "I'd rather not worry about werewolves the night before my first day since this is another new school I have to figure out." She had transferred to so many schools that she didn't think it was worth it to keep track of how many schools she had gone to anymore.