00

Annabelle Henderson had always been an optimist, as though sunshine was buried deep in her soul.

She danced during rainstorms, and built snow forts in blizzards. When others troubled over failed tests and bad grades, Anna took it as constructive criticism; that she would be able to do better next time. Cancelled plans meant time spent watching soap operas with her overly emotional mother, or bike rides with Dustin: the younger brother she adores with all her heart.

Papercuts and scraped knees meant opportunities to practice her first aid, and daydream about the future she longed for; surgeries, and medical research, and helping others.

She and her best friend being ignored by the rest of the Hawkins High student body didn't mean being lonely, or miserable, or calling herself a loser. It just meant that they got to spend more quality time together, and there's nothing Anna loved more than telling Jonathan Byers about whatever book she'd just finished or seeing the fresh photos he'd taken that week. There's nothing she'd rather see more than his smile.

And if he didn't already know that, if he didn't feel the same towards her, Anna held onto the hope that he'd realize it soon.

Because that's how Annabelle's life has always been lived; With a 'glass half full' overly hopeful mentality, wrapped up in a lovely golden hue of her own making, one that she loves. She didn't long for anything different, or for any surprises. She was truly, genuinely happy and tried to make the people closest to her feel that way too. She wanted to share that sunshine she's known for.

But then, at the beginning of sophomore year, Will Byers vanished, and everything changed.