-1-

//  AMBER THOMPSON, YOU COME BACK HERE! //

The news of Sirius black escaping Azkaban had spread like wildfire. Even the muggle news had freeze frames of the deranged man hanging on poster or flashing through TV screens.

Coincidentally, this was also the chosen topic of conversation in the Thompson household. Mary Thompson, a middle aged woman with greying hair and a jolly face that held smile lines, each line holding a fond memory that she sometimes narrated on days when it rained, plump hands that always held a welcoming cup of tea, and a broad frame that made your worries vanish, stood at the entrance of the dining room. Exasperation clouded every inch of the room as she stood there, glaring at her daughter who sat on the table.

"Amber, we've been over this a thousand times, you're not going back to that place for your third year, I can't agree to something this daft."

Amber seemed like she was used to quarrelling with the old lady, a sad smile sat on her face as she looked up from her textbook.

"Mum, Hogwarts is the safest place for a person like me, why is it daft to think about my own safety."

Mary Thompson looked like she wanted to strangle a chicken.

"Well, let's see, a man randomly appeared on our dining table-"

"Hey! That wasn't his fault! Apparition is not a piece of cake."

"ON our dining table, said that you were a witch, bloody hell how did he convince us? Your first year included the rise of worrywart or whatever his name is, the second one almost got you killed because of harry, who keeps on attracting trouble, that kid, what was his name? Ron? Yeah, his sister got possessed, and now a Loony who blasted a couple of wizard cops and people is on the loose. Knowing Harry's luck, the man is after him, and you want me to send you off gallivanting off to hogwash because the man wants you to attend another year? As if."

Amber chuckled, closing her textbook, and sighed. "You really need to work on names, its Voldemort and Hogwarts. Although yeah he might have warts on his face, he seems like the cliché evil villain type."

"I'm not letting you leave."

"When have you ever let me do anything?" The sour expression on Mary's face deepened, as she stared at her daughter, disappointment washing over her form, a look amber had seen almost every day of her life.

"Now, now, we talked about this my love, you know whatever I do is for your own good. You wouldn't understand it now, but when I'm gone, you will surely repent your choices. Mother knows best."

Mary Thompson had a way with words, her face usually showcased nothing but love and warmth, she was known for her caring nature, a woman who always seemed to be selfless, compassionate and understanding.

Understanding towards everyone but her own daughter.

A cold feeling filled amber, the tone was familiar, and she knew that if things were to go south, it wouldn't end well for the both of them. Her mind flashed to the rucksack filled with her necessary bits and bobs, textbooks and few pairs of clothes to last her about a weeks' worth of travel that sat under her bed. The silence in the room was suffocating, time seemed to be moving at a snail's pace, as her mother stared at her with the patronising look, making her feel humiliated and small. This wasn't the first time the young girl had been a victim of the condescending words that came out of her mother's mouth, but what could she do, it was her mum that she was talking to at the end of the day. All she knew, was that she couldn't let her take away the one thing that kept her sane. Hogwarts.

"I'm sorry mother, I don't like going against you, but I need to go to Hogwarts. It's the right thing to do" amber's voice trembled slightly as she spoke, she tried not to show how scared she actually was, but with time she had learned that Mary Thompson, the 'oh so perfect' woman, wasn't good when it came to anger.

Mary chuckled, an angry twisted laugh that made the girl shiver. "Oh amber, you really haven't grown, have you? After everything that I have done, you still seem to disappoint me somehow. Is this what I get for being lenient and understanding?" she had now started to circle the dining room, the cold wind complimenting the words she said. As dawn set, a deep pit formed in amber's stomach. She had to leave.

The chair creaked against the tiled kitchen floor, as amber stood up to face the woman who stood on the opposite end. Her face was shaded with different tones of anguish, highlighted by the lamp that hung over the table. Mary stood still, eyeing her daughter's every move.

"I can't stay mum, you know that." She whispered softly, praying that she would make her way up the stairs safely. Amber timidly shuffled towards the kitchen door, Mary seemed to realise the plan and moved right behind her, but she was too slow.

Amber broke into a sprint, skipping steps two at a time, Mary hot on heels- she really could move quickly for a woman her age- but not fast enough, for the witch had already slammed her door shut. This was it, as the woman banged on the door violently, screaming at the panicked girl who stood in the middle of her room, not a clue on how shed escape the hellhole that was her 'home'. Her shouts got farther away from the door, which meant that she was probably reaching for the bunch of keys that she kept under the kitchen flowerpot, the ones which amber was very familiar with as she frequently nicked them in order to escape from the person she was supposed to call her mother.

The blood pumping through her veins was loud and prominent, breaking the momentary silence that was left behind as the remains of Mrs Thompson's abrupt change of pace. Eyes flitting over her room, she had a feeling that it would be the last time shed be seeing the room for a while. It was only a matter of minutes, but to her it felt like eternity. If she were to leave, she knew that coming back wouldn't be an option, not for the entire semester at least, but was it really worth it if all of this would just lead to spending the rest of the year with the woman who kept her caged? The same woman who would look at her with tender eyes, telling her about the time she was happy, and then the usual look of resentment that would morph onto her face, eyes turning cold, the hope of a normal, monotonous life with her proved to be nothing but a mirage, as the cheery atmosphere would be transformed into nothing but the shattered remains of what could be.

No. Hogwarts was- would always be the answer. In that fleeting moment where the trees rustled tenderly outside, the mellow rays of the sun casting a gloomy shadow in the room filled with dust and loneliness, untouched memories floating, not to be held close to the heart that already carried the wounds of what was once love, she knew. Amber knew, that if she didn't leave now, it would be too late for her to ever escape the insoluble dilemma that was the life of Mary Thompson. Taking one last look at the room that meant nothing to her, the bag that was stuffed under her bed was now on her shoulders, along with the slightly overweight cat who was not looking pleased, and opened the window.

As the door opened and the purple face of a breathless Mrs Thompson appeared at the entrance, amber's fingers slipped off the window sill, a maddened grin plastering her face as she softly landed on the grass, the cat meowing in protest of the reckless jump she had made. A shriek of terror left the old woman's mouth, as she rushed to the window.

"YOU COME BACK HERE! I WILL NOT BE TAKING YOU IN ONCE YOU COME BACK CRYING, YOU CAN NEVER LIVE WITHOUT ME." But her pathetic screams fell onto deaf ears, as amber was already way out of earshot, not knowing where she'd end up.

All she knew was that she was away from her, and that made all the difference.