𝒐. what ought to be done

SWEDEN, 2016
D-DAY MISSION

IF SHE WAS being completely honest, Ophelia "Radar" Beaumont liked to think that this mission would be the death of her, both literally and figuratively, and that one of these days, it'd be her time to leave the world.

     Today was the day of their mission. Everyone was rightfully at the edge of their seats in both anticipation and palpable tension. Ophelia's team and herself included. Even before the times in which they were only ever blissfully training to intercept what was supposed to be an illegal exchange of firearms and sensitive data between spies from America and Germany.

     The sweet taste of yesterday was still quite fresh on tongue. However, the notion where the lieutenant commander was left to realize that their expectations had left them vulnerable to oversimplifying the task made it a little bit more bitter.

     Ophelia had chosen five of the best pilots she knew, amongst the assortment of the provided Navy officers that had finished their TOPGUN trainings with more than just flying colors. 

     They were Lieutenant Josephine "TAG" Wilson and her weapons system officer (WSO), Lieutenant Gerald "Wizard" Allan. There was also Lieutenant Marcus "Oslo" McMahon and his own Wizzo, Lieutenant Marina "Sunshine" Garcia. Lastly, she had selected Lieutenant Robin "Lockheart" Ramirez as her wingman, much to the dismay of the other pilots who had hoped to be chosen. Either way, the woman was the best of the lot, integrating her natural skill as a pilot to her very own efforts in improving all that she lacked. And everyone knew that, as they've seen that talent first-hand.

     Assembling the team was the only easy part, though, as it had also left her with difficulty to pick the pilots who had someone to wait for them back home. Now that she thought of it, the dread piled up more within her as she realized everyone in the air with her had families. Deep in her gut, even if she has tried so hard to ignore it, she had a nagging feeling that something was bound to go wrong in this mission. Times like these made her consider changing her callsign into Instinct, as per Lockheart's constant requests, especially because even currently ━━ despite her quiet prayers that it doesn't come true ━━ her feeling always came to fruition.

     She never really liked cold weather. Rain, she could stand, but the chill of snow and winter was pushing it. It was probably because she's born and raised in a place where cold was almost as rare as the off times that her intuition was proven wrong. Considering Sweden's blizzardy terrain and the twisted feeling that settled in her stomach, Ophelia couldn't decide which to hate more. 

     "Fuck," Radar couldn't help the curse the fell from her lips, her quick gaze over her shoulder offering her just enough of a chance to see what they were up against now that a dogfight was inevitable. They were ambushed, the enemy knew they were coming, they were trapped.