Prolouge

We have been travelling for days. Heavy showers of rain soak our pelts. When will we ever find shelter? Will we ever find shelter?
"Please, Snowy, can we stop for a rest" A lithe, dark brown tabby Tom pleads, blinking his warm amber eyes at a snowy white tomcat, who started back coldly at him.
"Where, exactly, would you like to rest?" He waves a paw around the never ending fields of grass and stubby bushes.
A black she-cat steps forward with a hiss, "I wouldn't mind sleeping in the rain at this point! My paws are about to fall off!"
"That's not for you to decide, Night" Snowy snapped, bristling his fur against the heavy rains. Thunder rumbled in the distant, almost as if calling out a warning to the bedraggled group of rouges.
"I will rest whether you like it or not, mouse-brain!" Night snarled, lashing her tail.
Fox dung! Echo knew where this was going. He bounded towards his mate and twined his tail with hers.
"Let's not fight, shall we?" Echo mumbled to Night, who hissed in frustration.
"Listen to your little mate, Night" Snowy mewed, smirking. "I'm sure a big, bad tomcat like him will protect you very well, since she-cats are so weak and pathetic that they wouldn't be able to defend themselves, isn't that right, dung fa-"
With a yowl of pure rage, Night leapt forward and slashed her claws across Snowy's face, right through his eye. Snowy screeched in agony and clawed at Nights neck, sending blood flying. Both cats collapsed to the floor, Snowy writhing in pain and clutching his face, Night completely still.
Oh no oh no oh no
"NIGHT" Echo rushed forward, checking her wounds and her breathing. She was gone.
Echo lifted his head to the sky and wailed his agony into the storm. Lightning crackled ahead.
"We have to rest now, since Snowy is hurt" The dark brown Tom from earlier said smugly, padding over to a wide spreading bush that would offer at least a bit of shelter.
The rest of the cats followed, and Snowy's sister, Flake, helped him to his paws.
Echo couldn't move, he was numb. He sobbed, his heart felt like it would crack in two.
What am I supposed to do now. I can't live without her. She was my everything.
His mind flashed back to the memories they had, of hunting prey, of sleeping together, of sharing tongues. He remembered when she had confessed her love to him, and how he had accepted so happily, admitting he felt the same.
But now I will never feel the same.
He turned around, walking stiffly towards the bush.
I can never face Snowy again. Never.
He faced towards the place where the sun was supposed to set, although he couldn't see it with the grey clouds and pouring rain. He shook out his wet pelt, which did absolutely nothing, and then began to run. He ran and ran and didn't stop. His lungs felt like they would collapse or burst, his muscles screamed for rest, his mind was lost in a fog of grief and agony, his heart beating, his whole body in a state of shock. But he would not stop running. Not until he collapsed, or fainted, or died, or until he made it to their destination, not that he or the other group of cats had one.
He glanced over his shoulder, and in that moment he made the biggest promise of his life.
I will get revenge. I will avenge Night.
Snowy will wish he was never kitted once I'm done with him.
He turned back to the horizon, running and running, until he saw a line of forest ahead.
Finally, some shelter. But I won't rest. I'll hunt, then continue, no matter how tired I am.
The time for revenge is soon.