~Prologue~

WARNING~ There are mentions of death in this chapter (and in the whole book-)

(There are some swear words too, but I haven't seen too many people complain about swearing on here so-)

OCTOBER 13TH, 1978

"It's finally over." An 18-year-old girl thought, walking out of Everlock side-by-side with 3 other people. The 4 of them were all popular YouTubers, along with everyone else that were with them at the beginning of the night. But once one of the guests decided to open a seemingly innocent Jack-in-the-box, everything went wrong. The large group of people, 14 to be exact, were forced to vote people into challenges. They were forced to watch some of their friends die, and they were forced to betray the people they considered friends if they wanted to survive.

And the worst part about it was, the man who invited them to the town did it so he could come back from the dead. If you asked her how she felt about that when the group first found out, she'd say it was "pretty fucking selfish", but if you asked her now, 5 hours after they found out? She'd say she didn't really care, she made it out alive and that was all that mattered to her in that moment. The girl glanced over at the only guy walking with them, the "Detective", according to the role he was given for the night, watching as he held a stuffed animal close to him. He won it in a carnival game before everything went to shit. She looked away, her eyes landing on another stuffed animal on the ground. 

It was a small purple dog, the same stuffed animal one of the youtubers won at the beginning of the night. It belonged to the guy's best friend, but she died 2 hours before everything ended. The girl stared at it for a second before running over and picking it up, wiping the dirt off it. She held it, thinking, before running back over to the group, specifically running up to the guy in the group.

"Matt!" She exclaimed, rushing over to him. He looked at her for a second, before his eyes trailed down to the stuffed animal in her hands. "I thought you'd want this, to uh, remind you of Rosanna... you don't have to take it! I just thought you'd want it." she trailed off, offering it to him. He took it almost immediately. He held it for a second, taking it in, before pulling the girl in for a hug.