Chapter 1

I needed to get out of here, to clear my head. I wanted to leave all the family drama behind me for once. Nik didn't stop bickering with Rebekah about his bloody hybrids. He was hopelessly trying to find a way, to get to the cure, so he could make  more of them with Elena's blood. But Rebekah wanted to take the cure for herself; she wanted to be normal again. I was getting sick of all this bickering; I couldn't care less about this stupid cure.

So I sneaked out when they both were too busy fighting to even notice me. I wandered down the streets in Mystic Falls. Great, now I was surrounded by humans. Silly creatures, I thought, while I was starting to walk faster to get away from them. All they do is worrying about little things, the entire time. I can barely remember the time I was human, but what I do remember about then, is that I had a much easier, but yet complicated life than I have now.

I don't understand Rebekah, why on earth would she want to take the cure? How could a human life be any better than the one she has know? What we are, is a gift. We're powerful, fearless creatures. Nothing can stand in our way, we're forever young. I love what I am, I love who I am. I wouldn't want to change that for anything in the world.

When you're human, you become older, you're powerless, useless, slow, emotions stand in the way, and they’re a weakness. That reminds me of something Nik used to say to Elijah: 'Love is a vampire's greatest weakness. And we are not weak. We do not feel and we do not care.' That is the one thing Nik and I agree on. At least that's what I thought...

Everything changed when I set foot in those woods. Everything changed when I laid eyes on her for the very first time. In one night everything changed, my life got an entirely different meaning. She made me feel weak, but in some way she also made me feel stronger than ever. A human made me feel things I never felt in my whole existence.

My name is Kol Mikaelson, and what I am is not something you call natural. I'm a supernatural being, a creature of immense power. I'm a member of the original family, the one it all started with. Our family is the start point of a new race. The vampire race. And my life is about to change, everything I believed in got wiped away, by one girl, a human girl.