Chapter 5

Mika's P. O. V:

The following morning, after feeding Yuki and Akuma, I start making taiyaki (fish waffle) for breakfast.

I glance over my shoulder to see Giyu enter the kitchen, fully dressed in his demon slayer uniform like I am. "Good morning," I greet. He returns it. "Did you sleep well?"

"It was fine," He says, taking a seat at the table. I take another look at his face. I've never noticed before but now I can see he doesn't appear to get much sleep, due to the exhausted look on Giyu's features.

I turn back to the fish shaped waffles and finish cooking them. I put two in each plate with serviettes to wrap around them and bring the plates over. Then I grab a cup of milk for the both of us, feeling Giyu follow me with his gaze.

I sit across from Giyu and we eat our taiyaki in content silence, especially since he isn't one for many words. When breakfast was over, Giyu and I put our shoes back on before we return to Oyakata-sama's estate to give our report.

We sit beside each other, seiza style and Giyu cross legged as we give our report. While leaving out the fact we'd spared the life of a half demon girl.

"I see. Well, I'll be sending you off on a mission," Says Oyakata-sama. He has shoulder length black hair and purple welts forming above his plain white eyes that have no pupil.

"We're going on it together?" I inquire, though I was inwardly excited. Giyu and I don't get many missions together. The one to Kumori Mountain was one of our first missions together. Oyakata-sama nods his head.

"You two will be heading north." Oyakata-sama gives us our mission, but before we could leave, he addresses me. "By the way, Mika, how is Kaori these days?"

I blink my eyes before I reply, "She's been well."

Oyakata-sama smiles at that. He says, "That's good to hear. Give her my regards the next time you see her."

I nod my head as I say, "I will."

Giyu and I bow our heads before we climb to our feet and leave for our new mission.

🗡🗡🗡

The moon is high in the sky as I stand next to the Water Hashira before our new target, a demon holding up a woman that's obviously wounded. The demon is currently behind us to spare its life.

Giyu and I gaze coldly at it as the male grips the hilt of his sword, saying, "You want us to spare you?" Giyu starts to unsheathe his sword slowly.

I say, "Surely you know that begging for your life is meaningless... to both us... and to you." A man is holding his wife protectively close to himself as he watches on fearfully.

"I... I promise... I won't do it anymore...!" The demon begs as he drops the second woman carelessly, holding out his arms defensively. "I won't..." He lunges for me with claws extended, as though thinking I'm just some helpless woman. I gaze back at him with a half lidded expression. "... eat people anymore!"

Just before the demon could slash me with his claws or Giyu could behead it, I'd unsheathed my pink nichirin blade in the blink of an eye and use my Fourth Form: Crimson Cherry Blossom to slash my sword in a curving strike for his neck, severing it with ease, my bangs hiding my eyes as I stalk past the demon.

I don't show mercy to any other demon. That half demon giro from before was just an exception, especially since Giyu seems to believe in her.

I hear Giyu following me as I sheathe my sword and hear our kusagai crows calling to us. "Kawww! Kawww! Message! Message!" Both crows say as they fly down to our shoulders.