dumb conversations

good morning better black widow!
and a most splendid morning to you, better hawkeye, i reply to kate in a false distinguished accent.
she crosses the lawn and walks up the steps to the porch i stand on.
how'd the mission with archie go?
fine. you know he hates when you call him that, right?
why else would i do it?
and now i'm lifted off the porch and uncomfortably jostled. kate has always been taller than me and you could say that one of the ways she shows me love is randomly picking me up.
i am back on the ground again yet I start to feel the familiar tingling and i know exactly what is about to happen. i'm in the air, floating in a red glow.
i feel very ganged up on!
never! wanda replies with a smirk
no fair! no powers before breakfast!
you're literally holding banana bread. does that not count as breakfast? kate questions.
this? this is just the required morning carbs with my tea. the tea which both of you have no caused me to spill by the way!
the red turns to green and i am on the ground again.
what happened to "no powers before breakfast?"
you broke the rule first. i use my powers to push her back inside the kitchen.
kate and i follow.
kate, good you're here, it's time for you girls to start getting ready for the mission. briefing meeting in an hour.
i smile hopefully.
not you little one, nat says quietly.
i know.
i start to plod towards the living room.
hey! wanda stops me.
how about young avengers mission tonight?
you mean after you guys are all back from a real mission? i raise my eyebrows.
wanda shrugs and chews her lip.
i give in and offer a small smile. okay fine, but it better be somewhere cool.
pinky swear, wanda holds out her right pinky finger. i twirl mine with hers before she goes upstairs to get ready and i continue down the hall.
there's my favorite mini assassin, maria grins.
not the time. i sit next to her on the couch.
what is it?
just don't feel much like an assassin, and definitely don't want to be compared to mom right now.
you know she means well, we both just want you safe.
she just doesn't trust me is the problem. she doesn't understand that i've been through it all before. who was it that rescued her, huh? me and wanda. i have powers for gods sake, which is more than she can say.
i'll tell her you said that.
do it, i don't care.
aw come on riv, it'll be okay.
i give in and lean my head on her shoulder.
i just want to be apart of everything. i deserve it, i'm really good!
i know you are nena.
i look up and she kisses my forehead.
i'm really proud of you, you know.
i do know. thanks mama.
anytime.
i push off the couch and hop up, hovering an inch of the ground.
it makes me feel better to use my powers sometimes, even in stupid little ways like this.
i lower down and walk back up to my room.
sit on my bed and use my powers to pull the blanket over my head.
no depressive hibernation today!
that's rich coming from you, i angrily whisper back at wanda.
come on! get up! get up! i finished getting ready for the mission so now we can have breakfast together before i leave.
i'm good.
no you're not. come on, i painted my nails black for the mission so let me do yours too.
this is one of our traditions. wanda made it up to make me feel better. she always does her nails for missions so she wants me to feel like i am getting ready for one too, even though i am not really.
i lay under the blanket, pondering.
okay but only if you let me win next time we train.
i can't help it if i'm better than you, she proclaims loudly.
bitch! i jump up and tackle her to the ground.
instead of wrestling me, wands strokes my now short hair and tucks one of the front pieces behind my ear. she puts a hand on each of my cheeks and her eyes light up in the fucking breathtaking way they always do when she looks at me, like really looks at me. and i feel like i'm the only person in the multiverse and everything.
she has all of her rings on, as usual, and they are cold against my skin, but it's pleasant since the day is a hot one.
she scrunches and rubs her nose on mine before i stand up and offer my hand to lift her up too.
okay paint my nails now.
yeah? her cheeks blush and she hooks her arm in mine, pulling me to her room to retrieve the nail polish.
i want to go sit on the porch again while you paint. since you and k ruined my morning sun bath earlier!
ugh i'm sorry lovely.
it's okay, i'm sure you can make it up to me.
i tickle her and she screams and hits my hand away. i run down the stairs away from her and almost fall flat on my face, but of course wands catches me with her powers.
okay, okay, i forgive you.
you too, for tickling me.
we cross through the now empty kitchen and sit cross legged on the porch, facing each other.
wanda uncaps the nail polish whilst i pull up spotify on my phone. no one knows this, and it's probably dumb, but i have a mission playlist for if nat ever actually lets me go on one. i don't choose that because it will just make me even more sad. i play my "cringy little love" playlist and hold out my hands for wanda to start painting.
wanda softly hums with concentration and kisses my left hand after she is done with it and moves on to my right. we don't say a word while she paints them, this is our quiet space.
as she is finishing my right hand i break the silence and begin to sing along ever so softly to the song playing.
dumb conversations, we lose track of time, have i told you lately, i'm grateful you're mine.
wanda smiles, knowing it's for her.
i kiss the top of her head, warmed by the bright sun.
i love you in every universe, so softly she can't hear, but i know she knows.
ten minutes later and she is gone, and so is everyone else. and i'm alone again.