The Grass Isn't Always Greener

I stretched my feet out across the ratty old couch in the lobby downstairs, rubbing a hand down my face as if it'd wipe the anger and bitterness away with it.

I shouldn't have been surprised that Logan was still an asshole. In reality, Jesse kind of had been too, but because he was my brother I was obligated to look passed it, ignore it, even when it was flashing like a caution sign in my face. Logan just hadn't ever really been someone I'd wanted to open myself up to and let in, if he was anything like my brother, I wanted to keep my distance.

And I had succeeded in doing so until I stepped into that condo.

Now the very presence of Logan made me want to claw his eyes out. He had gotten close to all of Jesse's time and attention, two things my parents had tried so desperately to get from my brother my whole childhood. Yet, here he was, being a complete jackass to me, the only other person that had knew Jess as well as he did, completely ignoring the fact that my brother was six feet under right now.

"Hey."

I'd expected Adam to come down after me, or at the very least Collin, to try and talk me into coming back upstairs.

What I didn't expect was Logan to be standing a few feet away in a black NASA tank top with his hands deep in a pair of even darker basketball shorts, shifting back and forth as if he wanted no more than to be back in his room.

"Well, for a smart guy, Adam sure is an idiot." I huffed, crossing my arms over my chest and averting my eyes from the figure towering over me.

Logan rolled his eyes. "He was going to come down, so was Collin, but I figured I should be the one to come talk to you."

"You figured wrong." I snapped. "I don't want to talk to you."

The blue in his eyes almost seemed to lighten a little as he sat on top of my feet on the couch. My heart sunk a little at the action. It was something Jesse and I had gone back and forth doing our entire childhood until one of us caved and let the other sit.

"My comment was uncalled for, I'm sorry."

"It was misogynistic and disgusting." I replied, earning a confused look out of him.

Of course he didn't know what that meant.

"Misogna whatic?" He butchered the pronunciation so much that I almost laughed. Almost.

"It was sexist." I explained in simpler terms. "You're a sexist pig."

Rather than try and argue the fact, he stretched his arms behind his head, flexing extraordinarily toned biceps.

"If I am, then so was Jesse." Logan eventually said, "You know he wasn't this sweet, little innocent boy, right?"

I uncrossed my arms and glared. "I know, Logan. But you don't need to talk shit about him. He's not here to defend himself."

"Come on." He rose to his feet suddenly, as if a light bulb had just switched on in his head. "I want to show you something."

I eyed him wearily. "Why would I go anywhere with you, Logan?"

"Because it has to do with Jesse."

Of course that was all he had to say to get me on my feet and following him down a long hallway that led into a small gym. There was a few treadmills, a stair machine, and a weight rack with an assortment of dumbells in it. I considered grabbing one and chucking it at the back of Logan's head but ultimately decided I didn't want to lay on a cold cell ground.