Chapter Eighty One

Alex's POV

"Avery, I need you and Smith on hose and wait for my signal. Jackson, Wilson, start at the top and work your way down. Myself and Miller will hit the basement first and go up. Let's move people!"

I take a deep breath as we put our masks on and enter the house, heading right for the basement as they head for the top floor like I said.

"New York fire department, call out! It's really smokey in here, impossible to see anything,"  my partner comments.

Luckily I have my magical powers so I can lessen the smoke and calm the fires around us.

I know, why don't I just fully put out the fire with the snap of my fingers? I can do that. But don't you think that would be a little suspicious?

No, most of my team does not know about my powers.

"New York fire department! Is anyone down here?" I call out.

It's all crackling fire and no voices, but we have to commit a full search of the floor before deciding it's clear and moving on to the next floor.

It's an apartment building, so there's 4 floors plus the basement that we need to cover and clear before we can fully blast the hose.

"Miller, do you see that?" I point over to a canister that hasn't quite been touched by the fire yet.

"Shit. Why do people do this?"

"Because people. But we need to move, now." I grab my radio, "there are propane tanks in an apartment on the first floor. Can't tell if they're full. We need to move."

"Okay, cap. We have the top floor clear, we're on the third. Haven't found anyone, yet," Max's voice comes over the radio.

"Okay, stay alert. We're getting the hose on this part of the house as soon as we're clear."

So I used my powers a bit and cleared the room once my partner wasn't looking. The propane tanks weren't empty, but I made sure the fire wouldn't touch them.

"First floor is clear. We're going up to the second. Jackson and Wilson, once the third floor is clear, I need you to head out."

"Aye aye, cap!" I can't help but roll my eyes.

"Cap, I think I found the source of the fire," Andrew tells me.

"Yeah? What is it?"

"Looks like someone left their straightener plugged in!"

"Figures. Alright, keep moving. We still have those tanks downstairs!"

We made quick work of the second floor before we headed out. No one was left inside, those that came out as we first reached the fire were being tended to and said everyone was accounted for.

"Okay, start the hoses!"

My team started to blast the fire as I gave a helping hand in putting them out. Wasn't long before the fire was all but lingering smoke and we were cleaning up.

Thankfully I haven't seen.. her, in a few weeks. I know she's tried to call and text and stop by, but I ignore it. I ignore all of them. Clint was assigned to help us on fires today, however I've only had to utter a few instructions to him.

They always try to talk to me about it, but I'm not having it. This is my work place, somewhere I'm happy and content and know what the hell I'm doing. I need to stay focused and alert for my teams sake and the civilians. I don't need them to ruin that.

The only time I have to deal with them is occasionally at work, otherwise I actually don't think about them at all.

I don't think about what happened, what they did, how bad they fucked up.