Chapter 32: Grit

While the men were discussing who knows what, Mary sat with her friend. At first, she and Anne sat silent side-by-side. Sometimes it's nice not having to make conversation. Sitting quietly with friends is often better than words. Once the silence was enough, Anne offered tea and refreshment. Her Highness graciously accepted some of both. Over the tea, the two inquired after each other's children.

Edward and Anne have four children already and are expecting another. Their children range from ages seventeen to three. It's perfect because Charles and Mary's children can have companions to play with, regarding the youngest ones. The two ladies discussed getting together soon for playdates. They also talked about spending time in June at Cardigan. The pair didn't discuss the baby's death, and Mary was genuinely relieved. She doesn't want to cry today.

As the time of the day continued to pass by, Mary grew more anxious. Charles hasn't sent for her yet. It only makes her wonder that much more about what's going on. She can't help but think her father has received some terrible news about his health. That only made her worry mount as she waited. It seems the worst part of life is waiting.

Mary took another sugar biscuit. "I hate waiting," she told her friend before taking a bite.

Anne chuckled lightly. "I agree it's hard. I think keeping a good attitude while waiting for something is even more challenging." Then the Duchess shared with the Princess what's transpiring in the palace. "I know this is the last thing on your mind, but I heard earlier today that the Queen has been put under house arrest in her chambers along with Lady Rochford."

Mary's chin hit the ground in shock. She cannot believe the ridiculous child queen has been arrested. Her past must have finally caught up with her. Good because it's a disgrace. Anyone with a history like that should not be Queen of England. Then the reason she and Charles are here hit the Princess like paper hitting a fly. Her father called them here to ask for his son to be placed in their care. She just knows it. Oh my. Oh my!

"I cant' do it," Her Highness blurted out.

Turning to look at her friend, Anne asked, "What? What can't you do?"

Mary picked at her fingernails and told her, "I can't take my baby brother. I can't do it as I did for Elizabeth. It's too soon, too soon after everything. Maybe in a year, but I just can't. Not now." The thought stuck in her brain like a piece of rotting meat. It made her want to retch.

Anne stopped stirring her tea and wrapped her arms around her pained friend. Her voice was soft and full of comfort. "God doesn't allow hard things in your life to laugh at you or to sit back and watch you struggle. He gives you complicated stuff because he knows you can handle it. You were built tough and made tough in Ludlow. This whole season of hurt in your life will one day serve as a point that you can look back on and say, hey, I survived that. I can do difficult things."

Mary needed to hear that. She needed to listen to those words, which sank deep into her spirit. That's the mystery of grace. Grace comes softly and meets us where we're at, but it doesn't leave us the same. Grace gives the strength to carry on and persevere. So the only response the Princess can provide is a sincere "Thank you. Thank you for saying that."

As the two women returned to lighter talk, the Duke of Somerset burst into the room in a flurry of quiet commotion. Everything the man does is measured, even his excitement or unrest. "Anne, Your Highness. Mary, you're needed in your father's chambers. I've come to collect you," Edward declared.

The Duchess and the Princess rose together. Before Mary left, she gave her friend a final hug and told her, "Thank you again. I'll message you about Cardigan and look forward to seeing you there." Anne smiled and nodded.