World War One: Causes of The War

Q: What sparked World War One?
A: The assassination of Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie. Gavrilo Princip was the assassin. He and a group of six other men, all part of a terrorist organization known as the black hand, planed an attack on the duke and his wife. However the first guy chickened out, the next guy forgot about the ten second delay on the grenade he threw and tried to drown himself in four inches of water. Then the other four just gave up. Angry, Gavrilo went to a coffee shop down the street which happened to be the same street that the arch dukes car took a wrong turn on so Gavrilo pulled out his gun and shot the duke and his wife dead.

Q: What was the first war in World War One?
A: The war between Austria-Hungary and Serbia

Q: What were the sides in the war?
A: The Triple entente (which became the Central Powers) which was made (originally) by Russia, France, and Britain (and later added the U.S. and Italy) and the Triple alliance (which became the  allies) which was (originally) Germany, Italy (who switched sides later) and Austria Hungary. (And later lost Italy and added The Ottoman Empire and Bulgaria.)

Q: When did World War One start?
A: July 28. 1914. (one month after the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and his wife Sophie)

Q: What does MAIN stand for?
A: Militarism- ie: Britain built up their armies and made Germany fear war so Germany built up their navies which scared France who built up their armies which scared Austria-Hungary (you see where this is going)
Alliances- European Countries formed alliances with each other.
Imperialism- Rival Empires struggle to keep their power and take more.
Nationalism- People feel pride in their country.

Q- Name three of Britain's Empires-
A- okay here's a bunch of their territories:
Anglo-Egyptian Sudan
Basutoland
Beuchuanaland
Kenya
British Gold Coast
British Somaliland
Egypt
Gambia
Nigeria
Northern Rhodesia
Nyasaland
Sierra Leone
South Africa
Southern Rhodesia
South Georgia
St. Helena
Tristan Da Cunha
Atlantic Islands
Ascension
Sandwich Islands
India
Australia
(And the list goes on...)

Q: Why did they say the sun never set on the British empire?
A: literally the Empire was so vast that it was always light somewhere.