On the playground

"Av, you know how it works. You stay in my eyesight and don't climb up the climbing frame without me." Louis said sternly.

"Yes, daddy. I know." Ava said impatiently and ripped the bucket out of Louis' hand who grabbed her arm and held her in place, shooting her a pointed look.

"I'm serious. If you don't listen we go home and you can forget about the dessert tonight after dinner."

Ava gasped and ripped her eyes open in shock.

"Oh no." She mumbled. "No wowwy, daddy. I tell you. Can I play?" She asked with her puppy eyes.

"Go ahead, princess." Louis smiled fondly and let go of her.

As Ava ran to the sandbox Louis sat down on the bench next to Harry who was silent the whole time but watched Ava with a longing gaze. Louis felt uncomfortable and he had nothing to talk about to Harry so he reached in his pocket and grabbed his phone, answering some mails. He didn't notice that Harry glanced over at him from time to time, thinking of a possible way to start a conversation but he was scared. Scared that Louis would snap or yell at him or that he would change his mind. He felt like a child compared to him- back in the days their huge age gap wasn't noticeable because they understood each other blindly and because they were happy, not caring about it, but now Harry could feel the eleven years difference between them clearly.

He was so deep in thought that he jumped when Louis suddenly spoke up next to him.

"Do you mind?" He asked.

Harry's head turned over to him and he frowned, not knowing what he meant. Louis sighed and gestured to the pack of cigarettes in his hand and shook them around. "Do you mind?" He repeated.

"Oh, n-no. Not at all." Harry said quickly.

Louis nodded curtly and lit up one of the cancer sticks.

"You want one?" He asked.

"N-no, I don't smoke." Harry mumbled.

He had asked Louis once to try one and Louis had been close to freaking out, forbidding him to ever smoke a single cigarette in his life, but now he didn't seem to care anymore when he was the one offering one to him.

"When did you start again?" Harry asked hesitantly as he fiddled with his fingers in his lap, remembering that Louis had quit smoking when they were still together.

He felt Louis' gaze on him and glanced up and he had been right. Louis was studying him for a moment before he sighed and leaned back.

"About a year ago." He said eventually.

"Why?" Harry wondered.

Louis sighed again, contemplating to continue the conversation or just ignore him, but he knew at some point he had to get along with Harry anyway when he would have to spend more time with him and it wasn't like a small conversation would hurt him.

"Because of the stress, I guess. Ava had been a handful and we restructured a few things in the Company which took a lot of time and nerves. Liam had smoked a lot during that time and it's hard to resist when you witness it all the time..." Louis shrugged after his vague explanation.

Harry knew that it wasn't the whole truth but at least Louis was talking to him so it was a start and he took it as it was for now.

"But the Company is doing well?" Harry asked further.

"Yes. Otherwise we wouldn't think of expanding." Louis huffed out at the- in his eyes- stupid question.

"Do you know when you want to do it?" Harry asked.