Must've Been the Wind ≫ Depressed! Bluestar x Male! Deputy! Reader

Art: teaasea

Song: Must've Been the Wind ~ Alec Benjamin

⚠️ Warnings ⚠️
• Angst
• Themes of depression

If you or anyone you know is struggling, please don't hesitate to reach out to a helpline or anyone who will listen.
I care about each and every one of you, and I want you to be safe.

****

Bluestar's POV

Bluestar sat on the edge of the highrock, gazing up at the stars of Silverpelt. It was beginning to rain slightly, and the wind was beginning to pick up in the camp, but she didn't care. If she stayed in her stuffy den for another moment, she was certain she would go insane.
"Where are you, StarClan?" She whispered, her gaze traveling desperately across the swath of stars.
A strong gust of wind tore through the camp, whipping the branches of the trees around and sending thousands upon millions of leaves and other debris scattering across the sandy ground.
Bluestar but her tongue and stifled a yowl of frustration. It was almost like the star-spangled cats were trying to provoke her.
Tears began to brim in the corners of her heavy eyes, and she leaped to her paws with a snarl.
"Is this what you want!?" She growled at the sky, lashing her tail furiously.
"Do you want to watch ThunderClan suffer!?"
In a moment of anguish, she kicked a small rock with her paw and sent it hurtling into the clearing far below.
The wind suddenly died down, and with it's demise, came a bitter, hollow silence.
Bluestar slowly sank down, her shoulders slumping and her head lowering in defeat.
StarClan has forsaken me. This is the end of my destiny.

Your POV

You were as deep as one could possibly be in a dream, stalking a plump mouse through stalks of tall grass. Just as you were about to pounce, however, a loud thump echoed through the stillness, causing you to abruptly jolt out of sleep. At first, you had thought it had been a product of your dream, but when a resounding echo rippled through the silent camp, you knew it was real.
Irritated, you sat up in your nest and glared at the den entrance, ready to snap at one of your clanmates for disturbing your slumber, but to your surprise, no one was there.
What in the...?
You rose to your paws and padded outside, narrowing your eyes against the blinding darkness. There wasn't a single warrior in sight, say for Runningwind, who was guarding the camp entrance.
Well, that was a waste of time.
Just as you turned around and headed for your nest, your forepaw struck something hard, causing you to fall to the ground with a hiss of pain and annoyance.
"For StarClan's sake!" You growled, heaving yourself back to your paws and whirling around to see what had tripped you.
Much to your surprise — and slight confusion — there was a small rock laying in the sand mere inches from the entrance to the warriors' den, far away from where it should've been.
That almost looks like...
You turned your gaze up to the highrock, comparing the two.
After a moment of deep thought, you concluded that it had indeed fallen from the highrock. How it had gotten there was beyond you; it was too far away to have landed there naturally.
Just then, a strong gust of wind picked up, rippling through your fur and causing sand to blow into your eyes and mouth.
You spat and shook your head several times, rubbing your face with your foreleg.
Suddenly, another sound started echoing through the zephyr, and it made you jerk your head up in alarm.
It was almost like an anguished wail, rising up over the relentless tide of the wind and reverberating inside your skull. It filled you with an instinctive fear, and you found yourself looking around frantically.
The wind died down, and the same noise followed, but much quieter now. You whirled around in the direction it came from, your gaze resting on the highrock.
Unease clenched around your heart. Bluestar had always seemed... Off to you, but you never would've expected her to behave this way.
Letting your better judgment guide you, you bounded across the clearing and scrambled up the tumble of rocks, just in time to see Bluestar retreating back into her den.
"Bluestar!" You called, pulling yourself onto the ledge.
The bluish-gray she-cat jumped slightly, then turned around to face you. When she did, you immediately noticed two things. One, her deep blue eyes were watery and tired. Second, her shoulders were slumping, which is something you hardly ever saw her do.