No Thanks

I had refilled my cup earlier, attempting to go and find Rue. That was when I found Lexi. She had done both of what we said, she went and sat on the couch, and started talking to a boy. That boy? Is my dear boy, Fezco. And can I just say, they look fucking adorable together.

   I smiled into my cup, watching the two from across the room. A momentary break from the taunting thoughts and my mother's wretched voice.

'We're gonna have to talk about this eventually Marina.' I look up from my phone, putting it away as I continue to ignore my father, him texting me. I go to take a sip from my drink, almost choking on it as I sidestep back into the kitchen. Though I know it was too late, my sister had already seen me. I sigh, lowering my head as I step back out, her already coming my way.

   She stopped in front of me shyly, the sad-happy look on her face as she tried to mentally cheer me up but knew how hard it was to actually be happy. I hadn't talked much to Jules since seeing mom too, in case you couldn't tell.. Or really at all for that matter.

"I'm sorry I kinda went off on you like that. I know you wouldn't have- You wouldn't do that. " I looked up, failing a few times. It did hurt.. How she thought I had helped dad setting up my mother's surprise visit. That she would, even for a second, think I'd want anything to do with that woman, or allowing her in the house willingly.. Hurt. Like really fucking hurt.

But then I remembered she doesn't know everything.

"It's fine, I should have noticed she was there or something. I was just.." I closed my eyes, shaking my head. I was thinking of Ash.. I was still high from our long conversation from the night before. I should have known something was up though. Dad was acting weird when he came to the kitchen but I just.. I thought it was just dad being dad.

"We need to stop doing this. Feels like it's becoming habit." Jules had hugged me, me frowning as I slowly hugged back.

   I didn't even feel like I was here, I felt almost numb. I don't know if it's from the alcohol, or because of my feelings. Everything seeming to play out without me consciously being there. Everything mumbled and almost muted, everything in slow motion and non-interesting.

It's times like these were its hardest to just.. not give up.

"-Dad's been worried about you." I blinked, coming too. Jules had separated from me, giving me a sad smile. I shrugged carelessly.

"Well he doesn't need to. I'm fine." She smiles, and nods.

"I know you are, Gemmy. If anyone saw your bodyguards, they'd, like, run away terrified." I tuned in more, smiling a bit at her comment as I scrunched my brows at her.

"What?" I asked incredulously. She gave me a flirty smirk, wiggling her brows at me.

"Ashtray mainly, but Fezco too. Besides the fact they've both been monitoring your whereabouts, they just-.. They really do seem to really care about you. So, I know I don't have to worry whenever you're with them." I rolled my eyes at her, looking around the room casually. I didn't see Ash, but then again, I tried not looking outside. I did see Fezco, him looking over but not at me. 

Someone else close by.

   This caught my attention, obviously. Turning my attention toward the direction. My eyes locked onto the target immediately, every fiber of my being telling me to confront them. Not even getting a chance to move a muscle before Jules's hand shot out, grabbing my arm.