A Bee and A Butterfly

My contribution for the Can I Keep You Challenge on Twitter!!

Happy 20th Anniversary to Romancing Mr, Bridgerton and the best Bridgerton couple!!

Updated on 02/25/2024: new scene and better editing.
Notes:

Thanks for checking out my entry for the Can I Keep You Challenge on Twitter in celebration for the 20th Anniversary of the release of Romancing Mr. Bridgerton!! This is gonna be a bit different from others I believe (fingers crossed).

It's a collection of moments in Penelope and Colin's lives where Colin says the fated words in several different ways. Never quite the same meaning. In this fic I changed a lot. When they meet, how close they are, and when they start developing feelings for each other. In this Colin isn't AS blind and realizes he loves Pen a bit sooner. I hope that's ok with y'all. Anyways, I hope you enjoy!

This isn't beta'd so please excuse any mistakes.

Update 02/25/2024: In honor of this fic being featured on the Catch and Toast podcast, I decided to update it!! I have changed a bit of the plot, added in a new scene, and fixed lots of grammatical and spelling errors. Also this story has officially been beta'd so thanks to all my betas for helping me get this updated!

Enjoy the heartbreak!
(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:
February 11, 1846

"I've been waiting for you."

He spun on his heel, and there she was. His words caught in his throat as she stepped towards him.

"Penelope?"

June 23, 1796

Violet and Edmund Bridgerton embarked on a leisurely stroll in Hyde Park on a radiant summer day with their four young children. As they walked, Edmund excused himself to chase after their two older boys, Anthony who was eight, and Benedict who was five. Meanwhile, their son Colin, who had just turned three, and their daughter Daphne, who was only a year and a half, remained by Violet's side–as she was heavily pregnant with their fifth child.

Violet was holding Colin's hand tightly as they strolled through the park when they came upon Lord and Lady Featherington who were also out for a walk with their three daughters. Prudence and Phillipa were engaged in a heated game of tug-of-war over a small doll, while Lady Featherington pushed wee baby Penelope in a pram that looked quite similar to the one carrying Daphne.

"Good day, Lord and Lady Featherington! It's such a beautiful day, is it not?" Violet exclaimed holding onto Colin, who was trying to escape her grasp. Lady Featherington smiled back.

"It is indeed! Heavens Lady Bridgerton, it seems every time we see you, you have another bairn on the way," Lady Featherington's eyes sparkled with judgment. Violet wanted to roll her eyes but restrained herself and merely laughed instead.

"Yes, well we do enjoy having little ones around," Violet beamed proudly.

"We've truly been blessed with happy, healthy, and strong children," she finished just as Colin slithered his way out of her hands and lunged towards the pram.

"Colin Bridgerton!" Violet called out.

Colin ignored his mother, reached up on the tip of his toes, and peered over the side of the pram to see inside. A small beautiful child, in a bright yellow smock, peered back at him with brilliant blue eyes. Her red hair shone brightly in the sun and her cheeks were full and soft. Colin giggled when she stretched and kicked her legs out as she cooed at him.