you and me

Selwyn was not in the hallway.
I groaned and started towards his room. I still don't know what is wrong with him. I don't know why he won't talk to me about it. I hate when he does this. I hate when he makes me feel like it's my fault he's upset.
Well, he doesn't literally make me feel like that but the way he acts...I just think it's something to do with me. Or Nick, if I'm being honest.
I knocked on his door and waited for him to open up. I heard him saying something about "no peace here" before he swung open the door, looking as bored as ever.
"Hey" I said.
"I'm too busy for movie nights, Bree," he said. So he did hear me earlier.
"Apparently, you are," I responded
"What do you want?"
"What do I want? How straightforward. Well I don't want anything from you. I just wanted to see if you were okay"
"I'm never okay but it doesn't mean I want you to come check up on me. Did William send you?" He asked flatly.
"Can I atleast come inside?" I asked, irritated by how difficult he was being. He walked back inside, leaving the door open for me. I followed him to his room and he leaned against the wall, looking everywhere but at me.
"Why did you leave?" I asked.
"I have better things to do"
"Like texting?" I said, without thinking and regretted it as soon as I said it.
His head snapped up and he raised a brow "I guess" he shrugged.
"Who were you texting?"
"Jealous?" He asked.
"Curious" I said and sat down on his desk chair, looking at him tiredly.
"My professor. About an assignment"
"Really?"
"Yes. Are you done asking questions?" He sounded annoyed.
"Not quite yet. Tell me, what's wrong. Why did you leave?"
"Come on, Bree. No one cared if I left. You should go back now"
"I care"
"Your boyfriend would be mad when he wakes up and you're not there" he said, not meeting my eye.
"Oh" I said "so it's about Nick"
He just exhaled deeply, pulling at the string of his black hoodie.
"I felt like I was in the way," he finally said, still looking at the floor.
"What? What do you mean?"
"You know bloody well what I mean!"
"I don't!"
"Nicolas obviously didn't want me there"he yelled, golden eyes gleaming.
"But I did!"
silence.
"I did, okay? The whole movie night thing I did just so we could have a good time. All of us. I wanted you there too, Selwyn"
"I'd rather you didn't"
"You don't mean that" I whispered.
"Oh, I do. I'd rather if you just let me be, like Nicolas said. Let me be"
"You think that'd do you any good? You need to stop pushing people away!" I was yelling too now.
"And you need to understand that it's none. Of. Your. Business!"
"I hate this" I mumbled "I hate doing this with you" I held my head in my hands.
"And you think I enjoy it?"
"Sel you-
"I'm done with this" he said "you should go back and enjoy the movie night you planned" he really was done with this because he turned away from me. The audacity of this boy…
"You need to put that kingsmage attitude aside for a while" I snapped.
"I am a kingsmage!"
"I didn't plan it for me. The movie night, I planned it for us" I stood up and took a step towards him. His body tensed, without even looking at me.
"Who is "us", Bree? You and Nicolas, I bet" Sel scoffed, messing with his hair.
"You and me"