Nightmare

I slowly open my eyes and am greeted by the canopy towering over my bed. I don't remember falling asleep. Groaning as I lie on my back, hand resting on my stomach, I replay the events from the last couple days. I had to attempt parkour, adventured around the Lanes for the first time, got taken to a brothel, saved Vi from Sevika. Also discovered Jinx is Vi's sister, got kidnapped by the Firelights, which I've now come to know that the leader is an old friend of Vi's. And I narrowly escaped death from the bridge explosion. How has all this happened in only a couple days? I'm too exhausted to try and figure it out. My leg is still in excruciating pain and I really don't want to move from the bed. I close my eyes again and roll onto my side.

Warm air hits my face, making me open my eyes again. My face softens as I'm greeted with a still sleeping Vi. My gaze wanders over her face, taking in every detail. The scar on her brow and lip, the light freckles across her cheeks. I watch movement dance behind her eyelids as she dreams. Her face is peaceful, a sight I'm afraid is a rare occurrence. I'm pulled out of my thoughts as I feel a light twitch on my hand and I realize she's still holding it from earlier.

Tightness swirls in my chest, making it ache. That had been the first time Vi had really let her guard down around me. It saddens me to my core that Vi is taking responsibility for everything that has happened to her sister. Even though I told her that what happened to her wasn't her fault, a part of me strongly believes that she disagrees and is carrying a whole lot of weight on those broad shoulders of hers. I've never had a sibling, even though Jayce feels like a brother, so I can't imagine the position that Vi is in, feeling like she failed as an older sister.

A squeeze on my hand again, stronger this time, brings me back to reality. I look over at Vi and now see a distressed crease has formed between her brows. She squeezes my hand again, her body curling in on itself as a small whimper escapes her lips.

"You're okay, Vi. You're just dreaming. It's alright," I reassure her as I push myself up onto my elbow, my other hand coming across to gently rub her shoulder. She starts breathing heavily and curling in tighter, if that's even possible.

"Vi, wake up. It's alright." At this point now, she's started thrashing and her leg thrusts out, kicking my own injured one. Ignoring the radiating pain, I start shaking her shoulder.

"Vi!"

I watch as a familiar monkey bomb cracks a glowing blue crystal and explodes, fiery blue rays of light shattering walls, windows and floors. I close my eyes, shielding myself with my arms. I open my eyes and I'm now outside the burning building on the ground with Vander. I watch as his head falls back, lifeless. I cry out in agony, having lost my second father. I look to now see Powder stood in front of me, clutching my bunny plush. I scream, striking her across the face.

All of a sudden, the moon is glowing red and I look up to see a missile with a sinister smile painted across it, shooting across the bloodied sky. I look down to see my sister now grown, still clutching the bunny.

"Please stop!"

My voice comes out shaky, sounding foreign. But everything is so confusing and it's terrifying me. I try running but I can't. I look around and now I'm confined to a chair at the most deranged looking tea party I've ever seen. Rag dolls that look like they represent Mylo and Claggor sit beside me as well as the bunny and Vander's pipe rests on a plate at my other side. At the other end of the table is Silco. I look up to see my sister carrying a cloche covered plate that she sets down in front of me.

"Powder, what's going on?" She doesn't respond and instead moves a hand to the cloche.

"Powder?!"

This time she turns to look at me.

"What's the rush? We couldn't start the party without your girlfriend, now could we?" she responds, looking at me with glowing pink eyes and a horrifying smile. My chest constricts and my eyes start watering, looking between her and the plate.