Chapter Four - Kardan

“What do you want, Jack?”

“What’s her name again?” The Nestella’s young stablehand named Jack Quilan asked Kardan, standing next to the tavern’s counter.

Kardan crossed his arms all while surveying his business like he always did. He spotted her waiting for him to approach as she sat at a table along the farthest wall of his tavern. She, who Kardan was informing the senseless Jack about, was sliding a single coin across the table for the Kurgan performer to collect from her. In front of him, Kardan clasped his gloved hands over the other and lifted his head high, still staring at her when he replied, “Revena of Harnok,” in a deep grumble. 

Jack stepped closer to Kardan to regain his attention. Affirmatively, Jack nodded his head and huffed a reassuring breath. “I’ll do it. I’ll spy on her for you, Boss.” 

Kardan lowered his head so they were both at the same eye level. “No. I didn’t ask for you to spy on her. My ask is for you to keep an eye on who she interacts with and follow up on the places where she goes. Nothing more. Nothing less.”

“Our first interaction…she is very defensive over that bay gelding of hers down in your stables. I shouldn’t have a problem getting around her and may even have better fortune going to someone else to learn more about her.” Jack said, peering over Kardan’s shoulder to see the Kurgan by her in agreement. 

Kardan turned his head to where he could only see the two of them and their movements in the corner of his eye. “Kai Bo-Lin is fine. Revena…she is something more. I don’t trust her. I have things in place for a reason. Follow what I ask of you to do. Yes?”

“Yes, boss.” The red head bowed with his head to the region Lord and walked back into the direction of the stables. 

Before meeting up with his newest applicant as planned, Kardan took in the tavern's ambience a moment longer as he stood in the center. He grumbled once more then tucked both his hands into the pockets of his black suit coat and started off again in step. 

“Full evening we are having. Isn’t it? Many surprises and bloodshed. Shouldn’t you be on the door?” Kardan directed to Bo, deliberately interrupting the ongoing conversation between him and Revena. He waited for their silence and welcoming of his company. 

Startled, Bo kicked his legs off the table and slapped his hands together to suffice for his greeting. “I was, boss. Shift ended at three bells. It’s four bells now.” He pushed a shot of whiskey across the table for his boss and unfolded his hand out as a gesture for Kardan to take the drink. 

Kardan studied that as well as the shirtless bard with nothing on but a red trench coat and trousers sprawled out over the chair he was sitting in. “Delightful. Already a warm welcome for the two of you. Revena, this is Kai Bo-Lin. A thief and a guard at the Nestella of mine–” 

Bo collected his seated position, sitting up straighter. He danced his eyes over both of them. “–And a bard. I can do wonders with my voice and words who looks good at doing it too. And love, everyone calls me Bo.” Bo added with a flirtatious grin. Slouching again, he draped his left arm over the chair.

Kardan pulled his hand into a tight fist then opened his palm back out that hovered over the table when an irritated sigh was released. “Bo has been working for me for six months.” He looked over to him. “Lately his mouth has been getting him into trouble. But we need him nonetheless.” Bo waved his fingers to Revena and flashed a smile. 

“Revena,” Bo said aloud, testing the form of her name onto his tongue. “Give me something about you.”

Revena went to speak but Kardan had cut her off with, “She’s trouble.”