Flash fiction

Soul mates

Damian

One day Damian woke up with the words people hate me due to who my father is on his wrist and he was instantly awake once he saw them. He quickly looks for the words he needs to say and sees them on his other wrist. Are you ok? And I don't care who your father is, you aren't your father, his mistakes aren't yours. Damian nods to himself and quickly gets ready for school going downstairs with a small smile on his face.

Snow his mother notices and tilts her head "you're in a good mood."

Damian smiles "yeah, hey mom when you and dad first find out you were soulmates how did you react?"

She looks at him while freezing an ice pack to put in his lunch box "your father protected me from an abusive friend and I ended up spilling my heart out to him, he just sat and listened to me then finally said the words on my wrist then with a small smile I hugged him"

Damian hugs his mom "he wasn't surprised that you guys were soulmates?"

"Maybe a little but we both liked each other anyway so he got over it quickly."

Damian chuckles slightly before looking at the time and grabbing his lunch box "gotta run mom see you after school" "bye Damian" she yells as he runs out the door.

Halfway to school, he sees a girl getting attacked by a few guys wrapping her in vines and thorny stems laughing the whole time they were doing so and quickly rushes over to help her as the guys leave "are you ok?" he asks the girl helping her up

"huh, oh yeah thank you" she smiles lightly before realizing she was gonna be late

"I'm going to be late to class now" she sighs and starts walking towards school again with Damian following next to her

"I'm Silver by the way" she looks at him "you are?"

He looks down in embarrassment realizing he never introduced himself "Damian, it's nice to meet you Silver"

"you too Damian" both smile slightly before looking at the school

"More bullying here I come" Silver mutters.

Damian tilts his head wondering why this beautiful girl was getting bullied as they walk to class.

After class Silver and Damian were on the roof eating lunch and Silver was telling Damian about her parents.

"But why do people bully you so much?" Damian asks tilting his head slightly

"People hate me due to who my father is" she whispers.

Damian's eyes widen hearing her "well I don't care who your father is, you aren't your parents, their mistakes aren't yours, your kind and beautiful so don't let others say you aren't" he smiles at her as she looks at him wide-eyed and hugs him "it's you" she whispers.

He hugs her back and hears that she's crying softly, "Hey what's wrong" he rubs her back. She shakes her head and just stays the way she was before answering his question.

"M-my father won't.... my father won't like this" she mumbles looking at him.

He tilts his head confused "what do you mean?".

She sighs "my father isn't a hero, he doesn't want me to be with a hero much less want me to be a hero." she looks at the ground "and honestly I don't think I'm good enough to be a hero". Damian was about to ask what she meant before she was gone with a gust of wind.

#

Silver

I leave Damian on the roof using my wings to go to my family's graves. I land and hide my wings once more before entering the sanctuary. I nod at the sister that was there visiting her husband and head towards the back where all my family is not realizing I already had tears rolling down my cheeks. I make it to their boxes and slide down a specific one.

The box was cracked and all you could see clearly was the first name Wolfie and the saying underneath a beloved cousin and protector... I sigh softly and hug my knees letting the tears fall before calming down and looking at the box.

"I don't understand why any of you thought I could do this wolfie... I can't even imagine the possibility of any of them knowing what I did. It scares me" I sigh softly and shake my head, "You always said things would be hard but never that I would have to face them without all of you".

I look at the other boxes as bells rang in the distance and smile lightly, feeling the rest of my cousins around me before singing softly.

"Once a realm on the shoulders of giants forged with ember and gold an empire stood through the clouds it was endless stories of peace it foretold where sea meets sky emerald water in moonlight mountain tops kissed with snow" I sang softly before feeling someone hug me from beside and look over, seeing Damian.

"You aren't alone any more Silver, you have me, and your cousins were right you can do this--whatever happened, whatever you did is in the past. Grow from it don't let it hold you down," he said as he held me close.

We had gone back to school only to see everyone outside and looking terrified so I ran up to see what was wrong.

"Principal Nalu, what's wrong?" I asked, looking at her then at the school as she told me what happened. I quickly think back to everything that Damian told me and what my cousins said before running into the flames pulling water from the fountains and ponds around the school with me to put out the flames

"MY PAST ISN'T MY FUTURE" I yell as I send the rush of water towards the school putting out the fire.

It was then that I realized I could be the hero my cousins and mother said I could be.