Chapter 3

The sun had long set when I sat down on a fallen tree to rest. I had been out here for hours scanning the perimeter and looking for anything out of the ordinary. Like the nights prior, there was nothing. I stretched my legs out in front of me, flexing and twisting my ankles to try to gain some relief. I let out a sigh as I felt my legs somewhat relax from the tightness they held.

It was always very peaceful out here in the woods at night. Not many animals were seen. Maybe a squirrel or two but all others had moved on long after our camp moved in. Fireflies blinked and twinkled in the distance, lighting up the immediate area before plunging into darkness yet again. The sight made me smile and brought up memories of a simpler time. One without so much responsibility or knowledge of the world around me.

I leaned my rifle against the bark next to me and placed my radio by my side. It hummed with static. Aside from the occasional check, it remained quiet. I took a deep breath as my eyes closed and I forced myself to let my guard down just a smidge.

I liked being out here alone. Sometimes the hustle and bustle of the camp were overwhelming, especially being at my house which was meeting central. There was usually never alone time outside of my bedroom and shower. If it wasn't my father and his meetings it was my brothers who had their friends. I guess I was considered a friend out of convenience. None of them would dare be interested in me otherwise.

It's funny, I never really thought about dating. That would be...odd. I've grown up with all the guys for my whole life so now most of them I consider to be like brothers. I'm not saying I don't notice that some of them are attractive. There are plenty good looking guys in the crew but even if I had feelings for one of them, I doubt they'd see me the same. I am rarely in anything other than my gear which consists of cargo pants and a solid rotation of tshirts and tank tops depending on the weather.

A snap of a branch pulls me from my musing. I let out a gruff laugh. "Good try Cyrus but I think this routine is getting old," I say, turning my head in the direction of the noise expecting to see my comrade with his signature smirk but instead, two amber eyes appear in the dark of the trees. Startled, I stood up in a hurry and fully faced the intruder.

In the tree line a few feet away, I can make out the shape of a wolf. His fur blends in with his surroundings. Almost like a shadow slipping in and out of the treeline. The amber eyes watch me with heavy aversion. Not making a move closer out of caution but not backing away out of curiosity. It's bigger than a normal wolf. Its paws are easily bigger than my hand and it's shoulder sits almost at the height of my hip. My 5' 7" frame would be dwarfed if it stood on its hind legs. A clear sign to me that it wasn't just a lone wolf tracking through the woods. It was a shifter.

I slowed my breathing, having caught on that it was fast and loud. Not the way we were taught. My eyes glance where my gun and radio lay but a low growl pulls my gaze back to the wolf. He's studying me as I him. I've heard the stories and heard about shifters but this was the first one that I've seen in person. His muscles coiled beneath his fur as he measured my every breath.

Come on Kena I think to myself. Any other hunter wouldn't have hesitated to make a move but it's as if my training has been erased from my mind. I would never hear the end of it if another hunter were to see this. I'm better than this.

Keeping my eyes on the wolf, I toe at the ground trying to subtly inch myself closer to where my weapon lay. My movements don't go unnoticed. Another low growl resonates from the creature as he takes an intimidating step closer.

I'd be lying if I didn't say he was beautiful to look at. Many times I've heard from other hunters how shifters are beasts that are out of children's nightmares. Hearing it from them, you'd think shifters were mangy with overgrown claws, drool dripping from their canines, and crazed eyes at the chance at beating a hunter. That was not the case at all.

"Kena come in," Cyrus's voice over the radio breaks the silent standoff. My eyes move from the wolf in front of me to the radio and by the time they return in his direction, the amber eyes are lost in the darkness once more.

I spring forward and grab my gun, lifting it to aim in the direction of the shifter. Looking through my scope, I swept the surrounding area twice before letting out a breath I didn't realize I was holding, convinced the shifter was truly gone for now. With a shaky hand, I grab my radio. "Go for Kena," I said, clearing my throat to get rid of any lingering tremble in my voice.

"Got anything on your side? All clear on the east side," Cyrus responds.

I take a look again where the creature once stood. I should say something. There was a shifter on the west side of the camp, closer than we'd ever seen and the first of the Cardime pack we had spotted in months. I'm only half surprised when I hear myself respond, "All clear here too."

I dropped the hand with the radio down to my side and, after one more look, I started my trek back to the clearing of our camp. All the while, thinking about those amber eyes.