(3) Easy Escape

"Crap crap crap" You muttered to yourself as you ran through the night market. You've just stolen elixir for Eda, since she's transformed into a Harpy with no way to de-transform. You had originally planned to buy it, but you were out of snails, and the getaway just seemed so simple!

"Jax! Where the hell are you?!" You called to your palisman, who was in your hand moments ago. You heard a familiar high pitched screech, and knew it was your bat palisman.

You spun your head around to get Jax, but you were now face-to-face with a golden owl mask. You immediately recognized the person's outfit as the Golden Guard's.

"Hiiii," The voice behind the mask spoke, before kicking his leg under you. You hit the ground with a loud thud, and summoned a circle in the air.

You've been practicing Bard, Healing, and Illusion magic at Hexside, so this guy was no match for you.

Your triangle fell out of the circle and into your hands. You held it menacingly as you quickly stood back up.

"Oh please, what's that gonna do?" The Golden Guard scoffed, but he didn't realize how powerful you could be.

You hit the inside lightly, barely even making a sound, and a massive, triangle-shaped shockwave blasted out, growing in size.

It knocked him back about 100 feet, giving you an advantage. Jax shifted to his staff form, and you climbed on, taking off into the air.

You whistled to yourself as you flew smoothly through the crisp, night air. For a place with the word "Boiling" in the name, you'd think it wouldn't be so cold at night.

You shivered without realizing, and grabbed the sides of your cloak, pulling them closer to your body to keep warm.

"Just a little longer, Y/N." You whispered to yourself reassuringly. You slowly became warmer, and cheered silently in success. But... you remembered a book that you'd read that included all the types of temperature related illnesses you could get.

It had things like burns, overheating, and hypothermia. Of course you just had to be the most forgetful witch on all of the Isles, because you were experiencing all the symptoms of hypothermia!

You became very drowsy, and accidentally started going in the opposite direction of The Owl House. You became confused, and took both your hands off of the staff to look at them.

You quickly lost balance, and fell backwards off Jax, plummeting hundreds of feet to the ground. The only thing you could manage to do was slow down a bit by opening your cloak like a parachute.

It's specially made to allow it's wearer to glide effortlessly through the air, but you haven't been able to figure out how it works yet, so this was your last resort.

Accepting fate, you finally felt your body crash against the hard ground. You yelled out in agony, being freezing cold and probably having like 50 broken bones.

Just seconds after you hit the ground, you heard Jax screeching frantically. You looked up ever so slightly, just enough to see your loyal palisman nose diving to try to get to you faster.

You set your head back on the... snow?! How did you make it all the way to The Knee?? Whatever. You closed your eyes slowly and felt your breathing slow.

Jax screeched in your ear and clawed harmlessly at your face, trying to wake you back up, but a voice coming from behind him made him quiet down.

The Golden Guard was walking through the snow, with one regular scout on each side of him.

"I saw the thief flying this way, search everywhere until you find them." He ordered. "We can probably take them to Belos and force them to give him information on The Owl Lady!"

The scouts split up, whilst The Golden Guard continued forward. He saw tiny footprints in the snow, and followed them out of curiosity. He reached the top of the small hill he was on, and saw a body laying lifelessly in the snow.

"Oh.. um.. hello?" He asked as if he wasn't staring at a basically dead body. When he got no response, he rolled his eyes and ran up to the body. "Great, now I have to save you." He mumbled, walking to the other side of the body to reveal who it was.

He was shocked when he saw it was you, the person he had been fighting only 10 minutes before. Well, he wouldn't call it fighting. Wether or not he wanted to admit it, you totally beat him, but that wasn't the point!!

He called the two scouts over to the two of you. "You, can you carry her until we get back to the castle?" The Golden Guard asked one of them. The scout nodded, but when he bent down to pick you up, your body disappeared with blue smoke surrounding it.

You jumped off of a tree branch that you were sitting on, and landed on two feet in the snow. The scouts traced circles in the air with a yellow glowing outline, but the Golden Guard motioned for them to stop.

"How did you survive that?" He asked with such curiosity that you almost wanted to tell him, but you just stuck your tongue out and flew off on Jax.

"Sir, do we follow her?" One scout asked. The Golden Guard just shook his head slowly.

"I wanna see where this goes. She's a very powerful witch, but I don't think she's done anything truly wrong."

The scouts just shrugged their shoulders and walked back down the hill. However, the remaining boy noticed a circular glass of glowing orange liquid. 'This must've fallen out of her bag.. I wonder if she needs it.' He thought to himself.

He considered flying after you to return the glass bottle, but he knew that you'd freak out upon seeing that you were still being chased, so he trashed the idea.

"I could just wait here? Surely if it means something to her, she would return to get it! Then I can just hand it over." He spoke to himself with confidence.

"Only one problem though.. she might try to put up a fight if she sees that it's me, even if I'm not chasing her.. How do I fix that?" He thought long and hard about what he could possibly do, when he finally came up with a solution.