Chapter 7: Pretend

Baham.

It had already been two months since Baham had decided to move away from Selien. He tried several times to get closer to her, but she avoided him whenever she could.

It was useless,

What was the use of talking to him?

That wouldn't change anything. That wouldn't change her feelings for him.

What was so special about Helia? Baham was dying of jealousy every time Selien talked about her. She was dying of jealousy for the way he looked at her every sunset.

Why can't he talk about me the same way? Why doesn't he look at me the same way?

Helia was everything Baham could never be. Helia was loved, Baham was ignored. Helia had Selien's heart, Baham never would.

She still remembered when he first saw her. He had come to them, the Stars, to speak before nightfall. She was still sleeping when she heard Selien's voice. For someone as important as the Moon God, he found his shyness tender. As soon as she heard what her siblings were saying, Baham intervened.

"As if it was fun to have to look at your face all night..." Sirius murmured, causing laughter. Of all her brothers, he was the worst.

"Leave him alone, he's nervous. I doubt that you are not too, we are all new to this" she said.

"Thank you".

"You're welcome, unlike my sisters and brothers, I'm nicer. Come on, let's go somewhere else to clear our heads to prepare for the night".

They went for a walk through the universe. It was still about three hours before sunset, and Baham, as Selien, was really nervous. She wondered what mortals would say about her. As soon as Selien began to speak, she snapped out of her thoughts.

"Thank you".

"You already said me that" Baham replied.

"Really? Excuse me, I'm just very nervous".

"Do I make you nervous?" Baham asked, amused by the blush on Selien's cheeks.

"No, I didn't mean that, I... I'm nervous about what the humans might say about us. About me."

"I think we all are, even the unbearable ones of my brothers and sisters. They feign disinterest, but I know that, deep down, they are scared to death".

"And you are not afraid?"

"It is easier to follow their example. Pretend. If I pretend to be fine, no one will bother me. They won't ask me questions and they'll leave me alone. It is easier to wear the mask of indifference rather than show my own feelings".

"It must be difficult to live like this. I couldn't, I'm not good at hiding my feelings. The more I try, the more I look like a fool in front of everyone".

That was obvious. Selien expressed his emotions too much and that is de reason why the other Stars made fun of him. They saw him as someone weak, someone manipulable.

"Don't worry, over time you'll become an expert in the art of pretending".

They continued talking for the next few hours until it was time for Selien to board his moon chariot. They both went to the Moon Palace, but Selien was still very nervous.

"Selien, listen to me. You'll be great and everyone on Earth will talk about how you looked tonight" Baham said as he held Selien by the shoulders.

"And if it's not that way?"

"Then we will confirm that humans are stupid. Now get in your car. I will go with the other Stars and we will wait for sunset to begin. Hurry up".

As Baham left the palace, she couldn't help her heart from pounding.

What if Selien is right?

Shee walked aimlessly until she decided to position herself near the Moon and far from Sirius.

Selien soon arrived in his moon chariot, pulled by black pegasi. He had changed his clothes. He had opted for a black and gray robe. He had combed his hair and now he wore a golden laurel wreath. He had made up his eyes with white shadow, almost imperceptible, except for the shine it had

As soon as hhe got to his post, he smiled at her. Baham couldn't explain the impending blush on her cheeks so she spoke quickly so it wouldn't be so obvious.

"Just in time. Are you ready?"

"I think so"

And then began the first sunset since Creation. The Sun was radiant. Everything was so beautiful. The moment Baham turned to see Selien, her illusion was shattered. There he was, looking at Helia. He looked at her like she was the most beautiful thing in the world, which was probably true, since Helia is the Sun.

The mere memory of that evening broke Baham's heart.

Her siblings were right, she is just a Star.