2. Surprise

My eyes look at nothing as I look out the window. I see the colors though. Green and blue. Every once in a while a yellowing field will break up the color scheme. But I don't see all of it. Just a blur of the colors. I have been looking out the window for four hours now. I still wear my ruined dress, my hair still a mess.

Didn't have the time to do a quick wardrobe change. Didn't even have time to give the doorman a goodbye before I was being shoved into the car.

I just hope that they brought decent clothes.

When we first started driving I watched the roads, how the car turned and how the pavement looked as though we had swallowed it up, disappearing into nothing as we gained mile after mile.

But then looking at it made me car sick, too many turns and curves.

So then I started watching the speedometer watching as we went 70 then 80. I stopped watching when we hit 95.

My new guard hasn't said a word.

I also haven't said a word.

Nor do I have the motivation to look anywhere other than the window.

I'm tired but there's no way in hell I'm sleeping right now, in the car, with him.

A stranger.

I do feel a little uncomfortable anyways, I was literally flirting with him and he hadn't seem to care, almost as if he was letting me flirt. Then here we are sitting here not talking.

But it's not like it's in silence.

The hum of the car grows louder when we go up a hill and then we go down one and he doesn't slow down. The A.C feels really fucking loud and my head hurts. I'm cold, I wanna go home.

I wanna know when we are stopping. But pa said not to question him.

But pa also isn't here.

I peek at him, not moving anything other other my eyes. I don't want him to know im looking at him yet.

His jaw is set, his eyes focused on the road. He looks annoyed. One hand is on the steering wheel the other is on the gear shift that's two inches away from my thigh.

His thumb makes a circular motion on the shift, bottom thingy, like he's getting ready to change gears or something. He wears rings on, like, every finger, some of them just metal bands other are like barbwire? I don't know. His black pants move a little when he steps on the gas moving us faster then we already are. His legs are spread.

Why the hell is he manspreading in the car?

I look back up to his face and my eyes snag on his hair. He needs to do a hair mask. I mean it looks soft but it also looks frizzy. When I don't have my hair straighten our hair looks the same mines just black and alot prettier.

Did they pack my hair products?

God I hope so.

I'll literally die if I don't have them.

I turn to look at him acutally look at him. Then see him use the one hand he has on the wheel, seeing the way his hand flexes slightly, the way his fingers move to round the corner.

I turn back around.

The cold glass of the window feels nice on my head. Getting rid of the ache that has definitely ruined my mood for this whole entire run away thing.

I look down and my eyes catch the ring ma let me wear a smile forms on my lips when I remeber when we went swiming and she had took it off and set it on boat seat and we jumped in. Pa hadn't realized it was there when he had proped his camera and work things on it. We spent a good two hours searching the boat when we were done swiming and Pa was getting ready to move back into the office and there it was, under all of his papers and things.