Prologue: One Little Piece

Cleo had just wanted a piece of chocolate.

Just one, single, tiny piece.

But noooo, her owners had told her off, saying things like, "It's not good for you, Cleo. You'll die, Cleo. You'll go into cardiac arrest, Cleo."

Cleo suspected that none of these awful things would actually happen, and that her owners were just telling her this because they were greedy and didn't want to share the delicious treat. With that in mind, she kept begging for the chocolate by intensely scratching their legs until blood gushed out of their flesh. After that, her owners had banished her to her kennel and called 911.

"No one understands me," Cleo said to herself in dog-language. "All I wanted was a piece of chocolate."

She listened as her owners cried out in agony. At one point, the doorbell rang, and suddenly, a new voice echoed throughout the house. It was a doctor, probably coming to bandage up her owners' legs. No one came to check on Cleo for hours and hours.

When one of her owners finally did pass by, all they said was, "what a dumb dog."

Tears filled to the brim in Cleo's eyes. She just only wanted a piece of chocolate! Just one piece. But of course, because she was a dog - a dumb, stupid, measly little dog - she would never be able to get that chocolate. She would never be able to get anything.

That night, as she fell into that sweet smell of slumber, she thought to herself, "I wish I wasn't a dog. I wish I could be anything else but a dog. Anything else."

And with that, she fell into a deep sleep.

------

Sup. I have nothing to say. Real author's note coming soon.