12 | fraud

"𝐌om?" I call once I enter the house. Shane follows me quietly.

I find her in the kitchen talking to someone on the phone when her eyes fall on me. She quickly approaches me with a relieved look.

"You're back," she says, placing a hand on my cheek. She smiles at Shane. "Did you both have a good time?"

I remove her hand from my face, squeeze it worriedly and ask in a whisper, "Mom, what's happening?"

She lowers her gaze and presents another smile. "They are here to see your recovery."

"Hell with recovery," I almost shout. "Why did you let them in?"

"Kate, don't act like a child––"

"Kate," Shane says in a warm tone devoid of any roughness. "I think you should think about your mom a bit. What would they have done if they came to visit you, shut the door on their faces?"

I smirk, looking away. "That's better."

"Please come inside the living room," mom pleads before patting Shane on his shoulder. I watch as she leaves for the guests.

"Spare me the lecture, Shane," I sigh. "I am already stressed."

"Oliver is to blame, don't punish his parents."

I blink, looking at him. "What?"

His jaw clenches slightly. "He cheated on you. Not his parents."

I roll my eyes and go for the kitchen. "If mom has been showering all this information to you, then she is trying not to be rude."

Before he can answer, I see a figure entering the kitchen. The same boy whom I broke up with long ago.

I ignore him, offering Shane a smile. "You wanted water?"

Shane notices him from the corner of his eyes and hesitates. "Umm..."

"Dad got your favorite juice!" I say and pretend to be searching in the fridge. "You said you loved it."

"Kate," Oliver calls but I act like he's invisible to my eyes and ears.

I manage to find a juice carton and pour some into a glass. "Here, drink."

Shane looks at the juice and cringes. "I hate pineapple."

"Just drink," I mumble, gritting my teeth. "Or I will make sure you limp like me."

He mutters something inaudible and pulls the glass up to his mouth. "I... can't."

"Don't be shy," I smile and glance at Oliver. "It's all for you."

Oliver looks down and sighs. "Kate, can I have a second with you?"

I laugh but keep my eyes on Shane. "Someone had five years and think they can solve the thing in some seconds."

"Kate, please."

Shane places the glass on the table and looks at me sharply. "Stop pretending to be okay."

I gulp seeing him in such a way. "Shane, are you––"

Shane takes his exit, leaving me speechless. Oliver doesn't waste a single moment fetching me and I don't react.

"Kate, please don't misunderstand me. It was my mother. She is hell-bent on seeing you after discovering your state," he explains. "Or I wouldn't have come here to make you uncomfortable."

I suppress rolling my eyes and take the juice glass. Shane didn't even taste it.

"Uh, I can drink it if you want," Oliver offers and I stop my movements.