Chapter Three

At some point I took a liking to the stranger that I was oddly acquainted with. He came every night but it was now something I looked forward to, talking to him. Every shift, I'd planned to say something different but when he came up to the register, it slipped my mind or I didn't have the balls to say it. Luckily, he'd mentioned first something about himself and even though it was small, I took it. It was something more than, "You too, miss."

    The man handed me the five water bottle's and said, "My name is Rome." For a few moments, I'd thought I'd mistaken it but it wasn't my imagination.

    I grinned at my newfound victory but pleasantly replied, "My name is Elizabeth. Elizabeth Storren."

    Rome took his hat off of his head and gave a slight bow, "Then it's night to meet you Elizabeth. Have a nice night, miss." Rome put his hat back on his head and turned around leaving with his water bottles. The next night, he came back with another sentence, but this time, it was a question.

    "Say Elizabeth, would you like to go out one day?"

    I looked at Rome puzzled. Surely he wasn't just playing with me, right? We'd been speaking for months but he'd just told me his name yesterday and now he wanted to go out?

    "Like on a date?" I asked, ringing up the water bottles. I glanced at him once before bagging the bottles up.

    He handed me the amount for the water before answering my question, "Not a date per say, more like an outing. I don't know many people but you're polite each night and I think it'd be nice to have a friend." Rome gave me a charming smile that I felt I couldn't decline.

    So I didn't, "I'll go to an outing with you."

    "Wonderful. What time could I pick you up?"

    Maybe a little too charming, "It sure sounds like a date." I mumbled, "I'm off on Saturday. That good?"

    Rome only nodded, "That's good, yes." He took off his hat and headed out. I looked at Sydney and she looked at me before she returned to the line of customers and I turned to mine. Sydney walked with me to my apartment later on and we talked about what Saturday would be like.

    Sydney sat on my bed with her legs crossed. She was dressed in light clothing since I kept my apartment somewhat warm. I got cold often and if the room was warm, it was easier to fall asleep.

    Sydney looked at me suspiciously, "You two haven't ever talked before."

    "And"

   "Isn't it suspicious that you go from one sentence a day to a date?"

    "An outing." I corrected. I sighed before laying down on my bed, "Is it too much? Or too fast?" I stared at the ceiling, not knowing what to do. I'd definitely jumped into something without putting my feet through the hoop.

    "Would it make you feel better if I came with the two of you? With how dangerous the world is and everything..wouldn't it be easier? Safer?" Sydney looked over at me curiously.

    I shook my head before sitting up again, "No, I want to go with him alone. I don't want it to seem like I don't trust him or anything."

    "But you don't." Sydney pointed out obviously.

    "I'll keep my location on."

    Sydney flopped over on my bed and laid down, "Hell, it's already two."

    "In the morning?" I raised an eyebrow; I usually would've gone to bed over an hour ago but time really did fly when you were having fun. Or deep conversations with your friends.

    "Yeah."

    "I need to call my brother."

    "Which one?"

    "Caleb. He's probably just gotten back from the bar so I'l just check up on him and make sure he's still in contact with Dad."

    "Mm." Sydney hadn't been on good terms with Caleb since he'd broken up with her four months ago. Especially when he didn't give her a reason but thankfully she was still friends with me which I'd worried about when they'd gotten together. Me and Sydney hadn't been friends for years but we were closer than I was with friends I'd actually known for years.

Word Count: 716