𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 1: 𝐏𝐢𝐥𝐨𝐭

Camilla

Camilla

It's been 97 years since the nuclear apocalypse killed everyone on earth, leaving the planet simmering in radiation. Fortunately there were survivors.

12 nations had operational space stations at the time of the bombs, there now was only the ark one station forged from the many. We are told that earth needs another 100 years to become survivable again, 4 more space locked generations. Then we can go home, back to the ground.

I lay on my rock hard bed, blankly gazing into the endless galaxy, when I hear the lock on my door turning. I jump up from my spot and opt for sitting on my bed. "Prisoner 326 face the wall." Stubbornly I stay in my spot, one of the guards move to grab me, I quickly jump up, " Whoah Whoah Whoah, hold your horses. I was getting up! Jeez." I exclaim rolling my eyes before turning to face the wall. "Hold out your right arm please."

"Well since you said please" I wink, now it was his turn to roll his eyes. I feel a sting in my wrist when the bracelet clicked on. "Hold on a minute, what is this. Im 17!" They ignore me, roughly pushing me out of the door. I struggle, but they push me along into a.... Drop-ship?

I was shoved into my seat and I frantically look around me to see many more teenagers sitting in their seats. All worriedly looking around. What was happening? Were they killing us? No the wouldn't we are just kids... Right? I was pulled out of my thoughts when the drop ships door closes and I feel a massive jolt throwing me forward in my seat. "What was that?" I hear somebody ask. "That was the atmosphere." The dude besides her responds. Did he just say atmosphere? Suddenly everything clicks into place. We are going to earth. Millions of thoughts In my head were stopped, quiet rudely might I add by Jaha, the chancellor. "Prisoners of the ark, hear me now. You have been given a second chance, and as your chancellor it is my hope that you see this as not just a chance for you, but a chance for all of us, indeed for mankind itself. We have no idea what is waiting for you down there. If the odds of survival were better, we would've sent others. Frankly, we're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable."

"Your dads a dick wells!" I hear a boy shout. Well, I second that.

I yawn as jaha drones on and on. "The drop site has been chosen carefully. Before the last war, was a military base built within a mountain. It was to be stocked with enough non-perishables to sustain three hundred people for up to two years. " I wearily loll my head to the side, to be met with a scruffy looking boy who I recognise as the dude who wasted 3 months of oxygen for a spacewalk. "Spacewalk bandit strikes again!" I cheer. He looks at me and gives me a fist bump as he floats past. Numerous cheers egg him on and I chuckle . As he floats away most likely to go annoy somebody I take my chance to look around at all the teens.

My face lights up as I see my friends Monty and Jasper. "Oi, dickheads" I shout at them, they look up meeting my eyes with a grin. "Cami!" the shout in unison, I chuckle sticking my tongue out at them. Just as they were about to do the same I feel a massive jolt and see 3 people go flying. I look down, hiding my face from the sparks. Shouts come from everywhere, I scream as the lights flicker on and off getting thrown around in my seat. I squeeze my eyes shut waiting for the inevitable, however it never came. I hear the machine powering down and the lights flicker back on. "Listen no machine hum." Monty states. "Whoah that's a first." I blink a few times trying to process everything.