chapter two

• SIXTEEN YEARS LATER •

FILIA VIRAGO
DAUGHTER OF A VIRAGO

Glowing and blazing sunlight filtered in through the windows of the college classroom as loose woven strings; carelessly free and wholly united; flowing into a day that it reveals and solidifies, resulting in the nightly world to be of something else entirely.

Ivory strutted down the hallway, tightly clasping files, some books and her laptop as her heels clicked rhythmically against the marble floor all while occasionally greeting kind students who passed by her.

She wore a small but definitely radiant smile as she was in a rush to get to her class. Once she did, Ivory thrusted down the door handle and pushed it forward.

She walked into what teachers lovingly called a 'fish market'. Incessantly chattering students, shoes scuffling, books slamming, paper crumbling, boisterous laughter and some uproarious arguing. All at 7:47 in the morning.

A typical Monday morning for Ivory.

She'd sauntered further inside, setting down her things on her respective table at the center of the room.

No one took notice of her presence.

This noise, obnoxiously loud and unbearable, was the perfect recipe for a headache but Ivory was determined on prohibiting anything to ruin her day.

She cleared her throat and clapped twice.

Instantly, the class fell dead silent and closed mouths replaced the previous chaos.

Her students were so used to her behavior and didn't fuss when she had done what she did.

"Good morning, you guys." Ivory wished with that radiant smile once again, feeling so content with her students discipline today.

"Good morning, Professor Ravencroft," They'd replied back in unison, but not as enthusiastic as Ivory.

Ivory's cheeks grew round as let a mild chuckle escape her rose-tinted lips, "How was your weekend?"

Multiple and various responses infiltrated her ears as she placed her things in an orderly manner on the table. After she was done, she'd switched on her laptop.

"It was alright, miss!"

"I enjoyed it, Prof!"

"Not bad, miss!"

"Could've gone better if we didn't have that homework, Prof!"

At the last response, Ivory shifted her gaze towards its sender and laughed. "Speaking of, did you guys finish your homework?"

Ivory received a low and collective groan from the entire class.

"We don't have much of a choice, do we, Professor?" A chesnut colored hair girl asked from the left corner of the classroom. "Not really, no." Ivory giggled, moving her glasses from the top of her head to the bridge of her nose.

"Well?" Ivory prompted, her genuine smile never left her face. She took notice of how all her students sluggishly removed their books from their bags and began to shift through the pages.

"If you guys haven't done the questions, it's alright, I'll explain the concept again and we can do the questions together," Ivory affirmed as she plucked out a white-board marker from her pouch and tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear.

                                ◉✧◉

A screeching tintinnabulation of the bell signaled the official end of the school day. Ivory sighed quietly in relief. She snapped her fingers and tucked a pencil behind her ear before she said, "Guys, please revise through the questions we did today and study well for the pop quiz on Friday! Thank you and have a good day!"