3 - Wingmen

It was the first day of school and Camila and her two friends were loitering along the crowded hallway. The walls were white and the lockers that lined them were in royal blue and yellow, the school's colors. The combined private chatter of little groups of students roared in the straight hollowed hall; individuals too excited to be reunited with their friends.

It was no different for the colony of three. Camila was with the Phillips brothers who were proudly wearing letterman jackets in two different designs; they make three of their original band of five which became four recently. Trevor Washington never usually missed that little gathering, especially on the first day, but he was not in the picture for some reason. The only girl of the group had a feeling why but never bothered to divulge any information to the oblivious boys she was with.

"What about Lauren?" Landon, the younger brother with short, neatly trimmed hair lightheartedly jested. He stealthily pointed to a green-eyed brunette who was talking to three girls and a boy on the other side of the hall, a little to the right, with a swift movement of his bright blue ones.

Landon Andrew Phillips was leaning on the closed locker to the left of Camila's, holding the straps of his dangling backpack in his right hand. His looks could be comparable to that of a boy next door type; easy on the eyes, clean cut hair, smooth-shaven face. He and Trevor are the starting five of their school's basketball team. The 6'4'' point guard has an incessant need to stay fit and healthy; as evidenced by his lean body and almost flawless skin. He met Camila on the first day and first class of their freshman year.

The two dirty blonde-haired boys were scoping the place for potential dates or hook ups while their wingman was going through her locker to stuff her excess things in; school textbooks she had just collected, her packed lunch. Upon hearing the name of the particular girl, Camila swiftly swiveled to see if her suspicions were true. Her hands tightly and painfully clutched onto her open backpack, desperately clinging onto something should she feel disappointment by the reveal.

Please don't let it be Lauren. Camila silently and earnestly begged.

To her dismay, it was in fact, Lauren Jauregui, the girl she spent the night and drove to school with. The same Lauren who dated her childhood friend, Duke Hunt for a year and a half prior to his death in the beginning of the summer. Coincidentally, Duke was the completing member of the five-man group and he singlehandedly dwindled it down to four.

Camila's heart painfully sank coupled by the churning of her stomach. There were so many thoughts and concerns that surged to her head while her heart was inundated with emotions she refuses to feel simultaneously. Lauren had just recently started smiling again she will be damned if she let anything, or anyone for the matter, steal her light again. And Camila had just witnessed the green-eyed girl's transition from her grief just like she had advised her during day one; which included noticing the utter lack of the still image of her best friend standing on Lauren's bedside table.

And maybe, just maybe, she might have had a spark of jealousy jumbled in the array of thoughts and feelings.

"That's just insensitive, Landon! You know she just lost her boyfriend. No, I will not allow that, and that's that." Camila firmly warned with the flash of protectiveness seeped to her veins as she plastered her chocolate eyes at the brunette indirectly in front of her. Her pulse immediately picked up as a certain warm sensation covered her torso, like a blanket of fury. "Keep your hands to yourself, Phillips."

Before she swiveled back to what she was doing, she shoved the younger Phillips brother with force by the arm which made him take a step to the side.

Camila knew a lot of things about Lauren that none of the others knew and she was undeniably concerned about her. It is primarily because the older brunette confides in her with everything, and that means everything. She had remained to be Lauren's confidant through the years but it was a one way street given Camila's aversion to at least immerse herself in her feelings.