Ashton

"Hey," I hear someone call behind me and I turn to see Christy and turn back around.

"I know you hear me talking to you."

"What do you want? More tea?"

"No, I don't want any more of your shitty tea," I know my tea wasn't shitty, that was just hurtful. I'm so offended.

"Then what do you want Carie," I say knowing her name, I'm just trying to piss her off, it's funny.

"My name is Christy, and I'm going to need you to keep your filthy hands off my best friend."

"And if I don't?"

"You aren't good for her, ok. Sure, you both have something major common but that's it. She is different in every single way. It wouldn't work anyway. You can't come in and play Mr. Hero, coming in and getting grabby. She needs your help and you're helping her. So, leave it at help. She's been through enough, she doesn't need-"

"Me screwing her up," I say in disappointment.

"More chaos," she walks back into the house, and I throw my cigarette onto the ground and sit on the Damp patio chair.

I know I shouldn't be listening to a high schooler who graduated not even a month ago, who had little to no real concept of life or relationships; however, she's one of her closest friends, and she'd know what's good for her and what isn't. I'm just adding to the mess that is her life. she doesn't crave the life she had because she doesn't belong in it; however, that doesn't mean she belongs with me. Then again what do we know, we can't even clarify how we feel; I rest my head in my hands and sigh. I sit up before listening in on what's left of the conversation.

"I'm going to go."

"Ok," I told you to leave already.

"Just one more thing."

"What," I say irritated.

"Ju-Just tell me it was an in the moment thing. Tell me you aren't seriously attracted to him."

"I wish I could. If that would help you or me, understand, then I would...but I'd be lying,"

"I thought I knew you."

"You did... you don'tknow this me, the me you can't love," he sighs and walk out of the room.