Chapter 8

“Ughh! I’m exhausted!” 

Elyse stifled a laugh as Khun collapsed on the bed in her brother’s room. It seemed he’d gotten quite comfortable around her and Bam despite having only known them for a few days. Though she’d be lying if she said she wasn’t happy about it.

“That was super boring!” Khun rambled on, splaying out his arms. “Why is there so much we should learn?”

Her brother took a seat beside her on the bench parallel to the bed. “I agree, I couldn’t understand at all.”

Elyse herself glanced down at her hands before mumbling, “I didn’t think it was that bad.”

As soon as the words left her mouth, she could feel a certain blue haired boy’s stare. It was a look that was judging, but not the least bit surprised. Bam, on the other hand, only glanced around the room, clearly searching for their missing crocodile teammate. Perhaps ‘former teammate’ would’ve described him better, considering that ‘teams’ were no longer a thing since the end of the Crown Game. Still, Elyse preferred to believe that the four of them were more than simply fellow regulars on the test floor after all they’d been through.

“Hey, Mr. Khun, where’s Mr. Rak?” her brother asked curiously after another few seconds of looking around for who usually, and quite literally, had the largest presence in the room.

The addressed boy placed his hands at the back of his head. “Oh, the crocodile? I met on my way and he was super furious.”

“Furious?” Bam echoed.

Khun sat up suddenly, feigning rage as he yelled, “I’ll go back to the wild! Don’t stop me, turtles!! … Is what he said before leaving. I guess something happened during his class, haha. He’s so funny.”

Elyse and her brother laughed along with him, only pausing when they heard a knock at the door. Before she could get up and answer it, Bam had already sprung to his feet. “Oh, who is it?”

As soon as he opened the door, they were met with the faces of Shibisu and Hatz, a sheepish expression over the former’s features and a grim one over the latter’s. “Hi, Bam!”

“Mr. Shibisu?”

While Elyse had almost been pleasantly surprised to see them, besides her, Khun scowled as he realized who had come to see them so late at night. “Training suit and the sword guy? Why are you here?”

The pair stepped into the room, clearly wanting to be elsewhere. “Um … it’s embarrassing to ask you this,” Shibisu stuttered nervously, “but … d-do you want to be friends with us?”

In sync, both he and Hatz pulled out a sheet of paper which appeared to have a table with ten blank boxes printed out on it. Seeing both the twins’ and Khun’s obvious confusion, Shibisu went on to explain his and Hatz’s scout homework, which was apparently to make ten friends in a week and have them write down their names on their given sheet of paper. 

“So … you’re asking me to be friends with you?” Khun clarified when the brown haired regular finished describing the situation. “I don’t want to.”

Shibisu frowned before protesting, “Hey! Why not? The crocodile told me that you love making friends!”

“That jerk,” the blue haired boy muttered in response. “But first of all … you two were in a team with the lizard who took the Black March from Bam! Do you think we’ll help you?”

Hatz bowed his head at the accusation. “I also believe that conflicted with the spirit of swordsmanship. I’ll apologize on her behalf. And the teams were disbanded after the Crown Game, so she has nothing to do with me anymore.”