(ix) satan? no... god

"hello?"

eddie immediately opened his mouth and started spilling out everything that had happened at nancy and robin's as he rolled over on the floor; laying on his side, taking the occasional pause to catch his breath. "slow down" steve tried to say, but, eddie was far too caught up in his words to hear him.

"i wanna see you later, if that's okay?" steve suddenly said when eddie had finished. "were you even fucking listening?" eddie huffed, rolling his eyes as if steve was there with him.

"yes. that's why i want to see you." eddie had left out the part where he was violently throwing up and sobbing on his bathroom floor. "um... i- okay. when?" he asked.

"i can be there in ten if i run," steve laughed gently on the other line, and eddie could almost feel the smile on his face. he could envision it. perfectly. "o-kay." eddie shrugged, sighing once he'd hung up. he stood up slowly with a groan. his stomach hurt.

eddie looked at himself in the mirror. he was a mess. steve wouldn't notice, would he? and if he did, would he mind? eddie decided to splash a bit of water onto his face to seem more lively, pacing around the room as he anticipated the knock at the door.

he shoved his hands into his hair with a groan, starting to think steve might have bailed on him. maybe he had second thoughts.

the sound of knuckles against soft wood told eddie otherwise, and the pit in his stomach returned. he didn't even have time to stand up before the door opened. "jesus! i was coming!" eddie scoffed, crossing his arms as he stood in front of steve.

"nancy tried to make a move on you?" steve blurted as the door closed behind him. "could you be any lounder?" eddie hissed, covering his face before sitting down on the bed. steve followed suit, sitting next to the shorter. "c'mon, spill!"

"why? do you like her or something?" eddie snorted, rolling his eyes. "like her? like her? eddie, i have been in love with nancy wheeler for six months straight!" oh. eddie felt a pang of hurt in his chest when steve said that and he scooted over a bit further from the other. "did she like... say anything about me?"

eddie was starting to regret telling steve anything at all. he didn't think it was going to hurt this much. he barely knew steve. this was stupid! "yeah... maybe? i dunno, she asked if you liked her. i told her i didn't know. kind of hinted that robin liked her. last i checked they were talking about it, and-"

"you told her robin liked her? why the fuck would you do that?" eddie jolted back at the sudden outburst of anger as steve stood up and stared at him. "why the fuck would you do that?"

"what the fuck is wrong with you, steve? you told me yourself robin liked her. you didn't say shit about you liking her yourself!" eddie didn't want to fight again. god, no. he wanted to kiss and make up like they do in the movies. wanted to fuck the anger out of each other and say their i love yous.

that definitely wasn't going to happen. he didn't even love steve, and steve definitely didn't love him. "yeah, but, if you told her... now i've lost my chance!"

"your chance? pfft. right... loved her for sixth months, but, still able to make out with the boy in the group," eddie scoffed. he was still seated on the bed as steve began to pace around. "i was drunk!" he argued.

"have you drunkenly made out with nancy?" eddie retorted, sitting up a bit so that his feet were on the floor. he stared up at steve when he walked back over to the bed. "not exactly. she... she doesn't want to." eddie could tell steve was starting to break. starting to realise that maybe, just maybe, nancy wasn't worth it; let alone interested. "steve-"