ᴅᴀᴛᴇ

Harry returns from his mission three days early. More specifically, an hour after she has been asked out on a date, and four hours before she has to go on that said date. 

It's around lunch, and today Hermione feels like she should indulge in some food so she goes up to the roof. Gives herself some quiet and tries to enjoy the scenery. 

In a few moments, she can feel his presence. 

"Hey, when did you get back? How'd you find me?" She asked. 

"You weren't in your office. I figured I might find you here." He replied, walking up behind her. 

She turned to face him, automatically looking for any signs of injuries like she always does. This time, it looks like Harry made it out unscathed. 

Just being near Harry sends her emotions to an overdrive, maybe that's why she has been hoping for some time away from him. Though Harry is definitely not going along with her internal plans. 

"You want to grab dinner tonight?" He asked subtly, his hand stroking up her upper arm. 

"I can't," Hermione replies sternly, hoping to leave no room for discussion.

"Why?"

"I'm working late tonight."

Not exactly a lie. The new curriculum is work.

"Working on what?"

"Uh... Draco and I just have some things to sort through... nothing major, just need to get some stuff done."

Ok, that was definitely a lie. But what is she supposed to do? Tell Harry about her date? Not that it's a date. Of course, if it's not actually a date then there really is no reason to hide it from Harry. Too late now, Hermione concludes.

And this excuse was good, Draco worked in the healing section. He and Harry rarely crossed paths. She could get away with this. 

"But... we always spend the day I'm in town together."

Harry sounds hurt, and it makes Hermione flinch. But Harry, he just wants a drinking partner. Though Hermione, she wants him, she wants him so badly in each way that she aches way more than Harry is aching right now. 

"I'm just... I'm busy."

"Fine," Harry answers blandly, and flickers away.

Hermione feels guilty, again. She doesn't want Harry to think she doesn't value their friendship. Nothing could be further from the truth. But being with Harry is so agonizing, so infuriating.

Harry walks along a quiet side street, careful to avoid the downtown crowd. His muted expression perfectly masking the thunderous emotions clouding his mind. There's something wrong, Harry thinks. Hermione's not acting like her usual self. On many occasions, she has put work aside just to spend time with him. Doesn't she treasure their moments as much as he does?

Ever the pessimist, he thinks maybe Hermione has finally come to her senses and realized Harry is not worth it. Not worth the effort Hermione has to put in, not worth the time Hermione has spent, not worth the pain she has endured just because of being a part of his life. Not worth anything at all.

_____________________________ 

Hermione paces her office anxiously as he waits for Alex to arrive. Her earlier interaction with Harry had left her jittering enough. This isn't a date, Hermione decides. There's no way this is meant to be a date.

"Hello," Alex greets, and Hermione turns around abruptly. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

Alex is  dressed in comfortable black pants and a dark navy sweatshirt that flawlessly frames his torso. His cream-coloured hair appears curlier than before, but the radiant smile on his face is unchanged. He really is good-looking, Hermione muses, objectively.

"Don't worry about it," Hermione assures him. 

She moves to her table, grabbing her purse when Alex says, "I'm sorry if this invitation seemed unprofessional, I wasn't exactly you know planning to ask the Ministress of Magic out for a date. Though in the moment, I just thought of trying my luck. Sorry if it made you uncomfortable, you don't have to go through with this." 

'You asked me out?" Hermione said, as if that is the only thing she picked up. 

Alex pales by the second, "oh god, did I not... did I not tell you that? You probably just want to go through the curriculum only then. God, my bad."

Hermione lets out a relaxed laugh.

So this is a date, Hermione realizes, suddenly wondering when Ron became better at reading social cues than her.

"My answer still stands," Hermione says between chuckles, a pale blush now unmistakably adorning her cheeks. "I'd love to get dinner."

Hermione steals a glance at Alex to gauge the man's response and finds nothing but unbridled joy.

______________________________

Harry needed to let go of his burdening and deprecative thoughts and decided to grab a few drinks with Ron. They go to their regular club and in between drinks and their conversation Harry regrets not visiting Ron enough. 

"You know mum has been nagging me about getting you to come over for a while." 

Harry sips his drink and smiles. 

Mrs. Weasley had never forgotten about him. Even after all these years, each holidays when he didn't accompany them, she still knit him something. Anything, with a 'H' embroidered. He saves all those garments up, wearing them in the comfort of his house. 

"Well, you let her know I'll definitely visit these holidays."

"Sure you want to make that commitment mate?" Ron raised his brow. 

"Yea. I uhm I am going to try to stay in town a little more from now on." 

Ron looked surprised. 

"I ran into Neville during my last visit and he implied that I should start getting Hermione to relax. Is she really working that hard?"

Ron's eyes deflated slightly, Harry muses it's out of a little guilt.

"I try to you know get her to eat something sometimes. Offer to walk her home, but she insists to work. It's like she's letting herself go. But then so are you." Ron smiled lazily, "I can't seem to get any of my best friends to relax and live their lives."

Harry's stomach churns with discomfort. 

"It's not your fault mate."

Ron nods, and Harry knows it hasn't eased his ginger haired friend's worries. But that is the most he can do in the moment. 

They keep talking and Harry volunteers to get the next round. 

On the counter, just as he is going to yell his order down the crowd of drunk stranger he spots a familiar mop of well styled blonde hair and says, "Draco?"