chapter i

"my memory has all but faded completely.. but i will always remember how much she too, loved these flowers."

.
.
.

"dain, do you like flowers?"

♡♡♡

the "twilight sword" of the fallen nation, khaenri'ah. "dainsleif" was his name. he who bears the curse that was placed upon him and the people of his nation many centuries ago right after the fall of the nation he swore to protect until his last breathe.

the concept of immortality, it sounds so nice doesn't it? getting to live for eternity and watching everything unfold right your very eyes, witnessing every change that will happen over the course of years, and especially, being unable to die. most would say that they'd prefer to live for eternity but dainsleif can say otherwise.

living for a long time sounds really nice, but it has its own downsides too. for one you'll watch everyone you love die to old age while you just stand there without being able to do anything about it, and another, it can be boring too.

everyone in the world of teyvat had their own stories to tell, be it stories about romance or their adventures in life, everyone has their own tale to tell and dainsleif was no different.

♡♡♡

someone has once said that inteyvats are khaenri'ah's very own national flower.

just like how mondstadt's national flower are windwheel asters, as the aforementioned flower's circulating petals symbolises and says that the windwheel flowers who moves freely despite what anyone may say, is the symbol of the city of wind's freedom.

for the inteyvat's case, it is said that it symbolises a wanderer far from home and that it also signifies the tenderness of your own homeland.

now isn't it funny how that flower perfectly represents our characters for this tale?

♡♡♡

the sound of the masked blonde man's footsteps echoed through the broken debris and ruins of what used to be the beautiful and bustling roads of the nation of khaenri'ah, his hometown. nostalgia slowly filled him as he continued to walk while he carried a what seemed to be a broken and battered girl's body.

when hilichurls are aware that they are now close to taking their very last breathe, they'd choose to go somewhere dark and quiet as they take their final breathe and soon turn to dust, just like the beautiful inteyvats from their homeland, they also wither and slowly turn to dust, becoming one with the wind. dainsleif so to say, was no different from them. but if he were to die then and there, he'd rather die in the place he had sworn to protect and devote his entire body and soul to all those centuries ago, that was his only dying wish.

"lumine, we're almost there.." he muttered, she was already dead, so it wasn't a surprise to him to hear no response from the girl. with whatever strength he had left, the broken pair kept on walking to their desired destination.

after some time of walking, they eventually reached a garden. though the plants had already withered and died, though the flowers and the grass that used to be so filled with color and light  has lost their ethereal shine, and though small debris of concretes had blocked some of the path, it was still a sight to behold, well for the self proclaimed boughkeeper that is.

out of exhaustion, he stopped walking to catch his breath, looking at the remains of this fallen yet beautiful garden, he couldn't help but admire the view. though broken beyond repair, he still found beauty in what seems to be remains of what used to be well kept plants and the now withered flowers in the beautiful scenery in front of him.